Print A4 document as A5 book

I have an A4 document which is 6 pages long including pictures. I want to print it out as a booklet, so each page is an A5 size. I’d want it to be two-sided. So the first page and the last page would be on one side of the page, and the 2nd page and 2nd-last page would be on the other. Then I’ll print out a cover on a piece of A4 card and that will be a basic children’s story book ready for proof reading.

I’ve done this in the past in MS Word using “Book Fold” but I can’t get it to work in Libre Office.

Any tips? Thanks!

You may find How do I make a booklet/brochure? to be helpful here. Also the LibreOffice HELP BROCHURE entry will also be useful.

I would first define a template to provide A5 sized pages using page and paragraph styles and suitable sized fonts. This will allow you to manage the text and images.

The precise details will depend on the printer type and function, simplex duplex etc.
When I have the A5 book printed I just provide the PDF and printing company sorts out the pagination.

For the inner part of your brochure (Pages 1-4) use the print dialog (screenshot). Be aware that the pages 1-4 are located in an extra file/document. When selected Brochure each of the A4 pages will automatically be scaled to A5.

For the cover create a 4-pages-document (file) as well, but let the pages 2 and 3 empty, only work on pages 1 and 4. When you fold the cover, the title page will appear as a right hand page and back surface’s position will properly fit. - Godspeed