Report Design View in Base does not load

LibreOffice 7.3.7.2; Linux Mint 21.3; Calc Spreadsheet as HSQLDB in Base: the file is registered

When producing a report, the option to Use the Wizard to Create Report works. The option to Create Report in Design View does nothing. It acts as if it had not even been clicked with no new window, no error message, etc. Initially, this raised the question that it is not an option for an HSQLDB file.

I searched the manual and on the web to see if I could see a constraint indicated. I searched here and I found this post from 1917 Base: Reports Options, Base: Reports options. From the screenshot it shows that an HSQLDB was also involved. One difference: at that time, the option did not show, in my case it does, but does nothing.

The resolution was that it was a known bug. No mention was made that the option was not supported for an HSQLDB, so I am still wondering.

Should I be able to use the Report Design View with an HSQLDB file?

Is there a setting or other condition I need to look for?

Is it possible this bug has reappeared?

Using wizards in Basse

Yes, this should work and not depend on the type of the database. I created reports even from csv and odten from HSQLDB.
The thread, which @mariosv linked should also not matter here. While the former Oracle-Report-Builder extension is still written in Java, I don’t see a problem here, because you already opened your HSQLDB, wich is also written in Java. So this is installed and running.
We have quite often seen incomplete packaging by Linux-maintainers, especially leaving out the Java-related parts. So maybe you can simply install a missing package via apt. But I don’t know the name. You could check the combination of ‘LibreOffice’ and ‘report’.
Edit: googled to this libreoffice-report-builder at this link:

Another option may be using the LibreOffice ppa from TDF, as the problem in the thread you linked was also “solved” by a new version/update (but I think the thread is slightly younger: 2017 instead of 1917 :grinning:)

mariosv: Thank you. This does not seem to be the cause of my situation. I checked the suggestions in that thread and it seems I am OK on those items. I found:

openjdk version “11.0.24” 2024-07-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.24+8-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu322.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.24+8-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu322.04, mixed mode, sharing)

You don’t need only Java for the reports. Java is needed for wizards and internal HSQLDB. You will also need to install all packages for the report builder. So look for the package libreoffice-report-builder.

Wanderer: Thank you. Installing the report builder directly from the Mint web site did the job.

(I always said I was born 100 years too late. :wink:)