Restarting numbered lists

I have a document with numbering (list numbering) at various points.

LibreOffice (5.4.0.3) seems to have trouble with continuing numbering when there are bullet points between the numbered points. I have tried using ‘Restart numbering’ and ‘Continue from previous’ but both fail to continue the previous list. I have also tried to demote the point so that it has ‘1.2’ instead of just ‘1’ but it’s refusing to add the demotion.

For example, this is what I’m trying to achieve:

1 Heading

1.1 First sub-heading

Here’s a paragraph with some text.

• bullet
Some more text to finish this little section.

1.2 Another sub-heading

But this is what I get:

1 Heading

1.1 First sub-heading

• bullet

1 Another sub-heading

OR:

1 Heading

1.1 First sub-heading

• bullet

• Another sub-heading

Make sure your “(sub)heading” paragraphs are formatted with Heading x styles (x = 1 for level 1, 2 for level 2, …). Heading x styles are intended for paragraph bound to end up in an eventual yable of contents.

Lists, whether bulleted or numbered, are formatted with List y or Numbering y respectively. Here y does not reflect item level but the list category (therefore there are 5 simultaneous list appearences); level is obtained by promoting/demoting the item with an initial Tab. But, to get the bullet/number the paragraph style definition must first be associated with a numbering style. See answer to this question on how to customize lists.

If this answer helped you, please accept it by clicking the check mark :heavy_check_mark: to the left and, karma permitting, upvote it. If this resolves your problem, close the question, that will help other people with the same question.

Thanks, this worked. Although, the linked answer mentioned Outline & Numbering which doesn’t appear in my macOS version. Just for clarification (for others with the same issue), here’s how I fixed it following the above advice:

Ensure each heading uses the appropriate Style (in my case Heading and Heading 2)
Select a sub-heading which appears correctly numbered and check Styles and Formatting > List Styles Select the erroneous sub-heading, match the List Style and Demote accordingly