Saving on Remote using Google drive doesn't work

Hello,
I am a new user to LibreOffice. Trying to get away from MS office.
I used to save on OneDrive as a backup.
Now in LibreOffice, I am not able to save on Google drive. The message is that the device is invalid. Can someone point me to a solution link?
I searched with keywords and didn’t see any solutions. Just questions.
Thanks for the help. I hope to stay with this software and this community in the coming days.
Thanks for your help
Sam

It’s safer to save to your harddrive, then to use the file manager of your OS to move the files to your Google drive. One solid reason for that is that if your Internet connection fails while you are saving from LibreOffice, you may lose your work.

2 Likes

@erAck is there any option for rclone user to implement this as alternative solution? Cheers :tada:

Searching is hard… rclone to google drive at DuckDuckGo
=> first hit Google drive

This doesn’t work. The response is
Access blocked: LibreOffice’s request is invalid
xyz@gmail.com
You can’t sign in because LibreOffice sent an invalid request. You can try again later, or contact the developer about this issue. Learn more about this error
If you are a developer of LibreOffice, see error details.
Error 400: invalid_request

Hi @snmathew

I was able to find a workaround for this.
The answer is using Google drive as an FTP server. And then in the libre office use the FTP connection in the remote connection part.

What do you need for this to work?

• install the Google drive FTP adaptor and configure it to work with your Google credentials for a custom app (you’ll have to create a custom app, and find it’s oauth creds and update it in the FTP adaptor credentials folder )

-once the FTP adaptor is running then you can use the libre office to connect to the libre office.

I’ll share the links which I referred to:-

It might be a little tricky in the first try. If you face any issue, please feel free to reach out. I’ll be happy to help.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

FTP support was deprecated with LibreOffice 7.4 Community: Release Notes - The Document Foundation Wiki and is going to be discontinued in the next release, LO 24.2, see tdf#146386.

However, a decent cloud space and even OneDrive should be mountable as WebDAV, and if it is only via WinSCP, see Connecting securely to Microsoft OneDrive with WebDAV :: WinSCP, or for Linux https://www.howtogeek.com/devops/how-to-mount-your-microsoft-onedrive-in-linux/

Whether you call Google Drive decent that makes you jump through hoops like [Easiest] WebDAV Access to Google Drive only by 3rd-party products is up to you…

Hi @erAck thanks for your info. i wasn’t aware of this new change and currently as I am on 7.3 still the FTP part is working completely fine for me.
And yes I do agree that there always will be some other greater and fancier solution that works better. But since for me this solution worked and satisfied my need. So I shared the same. And i believe @snmathew also wanted to connect with Google drive initially, so I hope my solution comes of use to him.
But thanks for pointing this flaw out. I’ll keep in mind while updating.

Have a great day.