Search and Replace $ doesn't work

So I’ve got a document of 270 pages. There are a lot of useless returns as well as spaces in the beginning of lines. I need to get rid of those, but it takes me a huge amount of work. I’d rather have that easier.

I turned on “regular expressions” and trying to replace line breaks. Neither $ nor \n work.
I even installed Alt Search extension, but that didn’t help either.

Any ideas?

Please provide a test document (put it to some file sharing service like, and update your question with a link). It definitely should work with either $, or \n regex.

Is it enough if it’s only available for 7 days? Then I can use WeTransfer.

It’s OK for me. If I’ll be unable to help, it will depend on when another one will want to try to help…

It works for me with regular built-in Search&Replace. I put a single $ into search box, and nothing to replace box, and check regular expressions; replace all joins all paragraphs.

Thanks, that works indeed. But that’s not a solution. I need $ + space to work, but it doesn’t.

Ah! So that’s unclear problem specification then. Yes, AltSearch works then.

With AltSearch installed, go to Edit → Alt. Find & Replace. In the Search for box, enter \p (or find it in the Regular dropdown menu).

Then press Replace All. In your example document, this removed all of the paragraph breaks.

Similar questions:

One more question: