Search in a form is very slow

I apologize if this question is not strictly a Base problem, but I need some hint to solve this problem.
I’ve developed a Main/Subform that works quite OK. The search function (magnifying glass) on my 2015 Win10 laptop, thus with a HD, works not very fast, but is acceptable. The main form is based on a query which returns some 440 rows, the subform on a table with some 200 rows, so nothing very big. The forms are standalone forms, pointing to the registered odb file.
But the person who uses this has a brandnew laptop with a 512Gb SSD, so calling the forms and handling records (scrolling, filling in) is much faster. But doing a search in the Main form is painfully slow, decidedly much slower than on my laptop.
On both the Windows Search service has been disabled and Kaspersky free virus scanner is configured the same. Both laptops have 8Gb RAM. Task Control Shows lots of activity on the SSD.
Any pointer where to look for a possible remedy???

Hello,

May help to understand why you need to search, and what is being searched, since this is a query which is selective to begin with.
A guess is something to do with searching the form based upon a query. It would be better is you could post a sample showing the problem - of course no private/confidential information.
You also fail to mention what LO version and database you are using.

1 Like

Sorry, both laptops on LO 7.2.5.2 and Firebird database. But I think this is not the real problem of a form based on a query. The performance difference between the two WITH THE SAME odb file is striking.
In the mean time I looked around on the two machines and noticed that the slow SSD laptop does significantly more “disk” access while the search is going on, than the HD laptop.
The disk access on the SSD remains me of the time of “memory swapping to disk”. I also ran the Win memory check on the SSD laptop: no problems found.
I tried a sample odb with a few records, but that is not suffcient to provoke the problem.
And BTW, the same problem occurs when trying to use filtering on the form.

Possibly a profile issue. Try safe mode.

1 Like

That was it!!! Renamed the old profile, restarted and made the necessary changes in the Options, and all OK, many thanks.

1 Like