Second LibreOffice session with different user profile (Win 10)

For a special project I would like to be able to create a second LibreOffice session with a different user profile. To be clear:

• One Win user, the one I’m every day
  • One installed LibO (current, recent)
  • First LibO session already running
  • Second LibO session, same soffice.exe, accessing a different profile:
    different options, different customisation, different script libraries e.g.

Can this be done?
What I tried based on naive assumptions (and can’t precisely describe at the moment) calling soffice.exe from a command line using -env: with a different path meaning ...\Appdata\Roaming\LibreOffice\alter resulted in reporting a corrupted bootstrap.

The path designated an empty folder.

Hallo

Use URL instead PATH and quote it if there are spaces in path

soffice --writer -env:UserInstallation=file:///home/wolfgang/newfolder/extra/libreoffice/4/
2 Likes

The naive answer would be “create a second user account”. But this means you won’t be able to copy and paste (text) between the sessions. Depending on the user permissions, files can be shared (assuming Windows has the same user/group/world concept).

Under Linux, you can alternate between simultaneous sessions with CtrlAltFn to “activate” the session on the “nth” virtual “console”.

With more info on your envisioned workflow, I could be more precise but take note I have lost contact with W$ for a long time.

I never use spaces in folder names or file names.

Sorry. I wasn’t precise. I tried the URL approach as given by the soffice.exe -help , but the empty folder didn’t seem to be accepted…
I will have to continue experiments. I may not have tried thoroughly enough before posting the question.

Try:

soffice  

without …exe

But AFAIK your windows does so stupid things like: …\Dokumente und Einstellungen\…

No longer this one, however “Program Files”. Yes, they are stupid in a hardly credible way, But if I remember correctly spaces in file-system names were first allowed in Unix and everybody was “glad” that MS DOS 3.x was partly “compatible with Unix”.
Anywav: Before I called soffice.exe from a terminal I had of course already made the ChangeDir.
Sigh! Also of course I must have included some typos with my tests. Now I can have as many LibO sessions with different user profiles as I think to need.
An example that worked for me: soffice.exe -env:UserInstallation=file:///C:/Users/myself/AppData/Roaming/LibreOffice/alter/
Yes. For quite a while now Win also accepts the ordinary slash as the path separator (no mixing!).
Thank you for you valuable participation.
Thanks also to @ajlittoz !

Hello @Lupp!
Example for Windows 10.

1. Create folder C:\temp (if it doesn’t exist)
  2. Run the command:
soffice.exe -env:UserInstallation=file:///c:/Temp/LibreOffice

Just as additional reference, a recent thread to use several (temporary) profiles to use parallel convert-to:

Under Win10 I ran 2 sessions of Libre via @karolus example in PowerShell. It created new user profile in d:\temp for 2nd session.

cd "c:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program"
.\soffice.exe --writer
.\soffice.exe --writer -env:UserInstallation=file:///d:/temp

Thanks once more to all!

The example is (and for -env:UserInstallation has to be) a file URL though and in URLs the / slash is the only allowed path separator. But yes, otherwise for ordinary paths on the command line Windows should accept / instead of \ for a while…

… by special grace? Nice.