Sheet referencing based on order

basically if I want the content of the cell A1 on the second sheet named “big_cats” I can just use =(big_cats.A1). but what do I do if I wanted the cell to display whatever is on the second sheet without using the sheet name.
let say that I have added a third sheet and named it “fluffy_cats”. is there a way for me to detect the content of the third sheet the moment it gets added.
for example I can make a column name “sheet names”
row1:(first_sheet.A1)
row2:(second_sheet.A1)
row3:(third_sheet.A1)

row10(tenth_sheet.A1)
and while sheet number 10 does not exists it will show empty cell the moment that sheet is added the row will display the content of cell A1 from that sheet.

You can’t (at least just typing) use a reference to an unexisting sheet (you get #REF!).

See related questions:

is there at least a way for me to say to call a sheet by it number instead of it name?

I use the following macro quite a bit. The array-awareness isn’t well tested. So, with this macro in your library you could just do something like:

=INDIRECT(SHEETNAME(2)&"."&"A1")

Experience has taught me to concatenate the “.” separately. 1) So it’s habit and I don’t forget it and 2) so I can make it a Named Range reference to convert to Excel, using “!”.

Also note that here sheet 2 is in fact the second sheet in the current sheet order, it is not like the Sheet1, Sheet2 internal names for sheets in Excel.

I use this mostly to address the previous sheet.

=INDIRECT(SHEETNAME(Sheet()-1)&"."&"A1")

This way I can build a single report sheet that I just slide to the right of any of several identically formatted sheets (e.g. one for each month), and the report populates according to that sheet.

Function SheetName(Optional sheetIndex As Variant)
	Dim Result as Variant
	Dim Row as Integer
	Dim Column
	Dim Index as Variant

If IsMissing(sheetIndex) Then
		SheetName = "#" & CVErr(502)
		Exit Function
	ElseIf IsEmpty(sheetIndex) Then	
		SheetName =  "#" & CVErr(502)
		Exit Function
	ElseIf IsNull(sheetIndex) Then
		SheetName = "#" & CVErr(502)
		Exit Function
	End If

If IsArray(sheetIndex) Then
		ReDim Result(LBound(sheetIndex) to UBound(sheetIndex), LBound(sheetIndex,2) to UBound(sheetIndex,2))
		For Row = LBound(sheetIndex) to UBound(sheetIndex)
			For Column = Lbound(sheetIndex,2) to UBound(sheetIndex,2)
				REM Specifically, empty entries in sheetIndex() will be "", the empty string
				If IsNumeric(sheetIndex(Row, Column)) Then
					Index = sheetIndex(Row, Column) - 1
					If (Index >= 0) And (Index < ThisComponent.Sheets.Count) Then
						Result(Row, Column) = ThisComponent.Sheets(Index).getName
					Else		 
						Result(Row, Column) = CVErr(502)
					End If
				End If
			Next Column
		Next Row
		SheetName = Result
	Else