Spacing for 3rd level entry in table of content

Clipboard01
How can I make in the table of content the spacing between the 3rd level chapter number and the following heading wider? I’d like to have the same spacing as in first and second level.

Level entries in TOC are formatted by Contents n paragraph styles. How entries are built is controlled by the Structure line in Ìnsert>TOC & Index>TOC, Index or Bibliography`.

You should then customise this Structure line for level 3 and add a tab stop at an adequate distance. I notice from you screenshot that you spaced level 1 and 2 with space characters. This is not the best way to do it because the variable width of the number is not taken into account. Tab stops allow for uneven “numbers” by aligning heading text at a stable position.

More instructions if needed. Don’t forget to mention OS name, LO version and save format.

Version: 7.6.7.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: dd47e4b30cb7dab30588d6c79c651f218165e3c5
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22631; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (de_DE); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

Do you mean this menu? I don’t know where I must make changes.

Or do you mean this menu? All settings are exactly the same for levels 1, 2 and 3.

The Structure line in Structure & Formatting is the generator for the TOC entry. Captured data from Heading n paragraphs is represented by N# (for heading number) and the like. You can add to this line additional data by pressing on the button below the “line”.

Your “line” shows only one T. This tabulation creates the dotted leader line between the heading E and the page number #.

Notice the white “space” between the descriptors: you can enter there fixed text. It is likely it contains space characters, unless these space characters come directly from the Heading n paragraph headings (this is equally bad) – I can’t tell because there is no sample file.

To insert a tab stop, put your cursor inside the static text box between N# and E, then press Tab Stop. You can tune tab stop properties in the controls below.

I don’t think there are any space characters in the white field between the N# and E boxes.
File uploaded here:
http://www.astro-electronic.de/THAT_Analog_Computer_Book_V2.odt

1 Like

That’s the solution. Thank you very much!