Stock list paragraph styles

Version: 7.4.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 40(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 6.1; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); UI: en-US
7.4.7-5
Calc: threaded

.odt document open from Writer Default template.
Text Body paragraph style and all its childs are still in state: Writer vendor original.

Where the discrepancy from how all those List X and Numbering X paragraph styles (child styles of Text Body) are to be bound to list styles?

• according to LO 7.3 Writer Guide binding should exist
  • as for Writer 7.4 binding was not found

Guide page 98.
LO 7.4 Writer Guide was not found.

How much sense may it have to maintain and deliver two types of lists: List X and Numbering X when named binding is dropped.

Edit
I also wonder for List/Numbering X Start and List/Numbering X End to be no derivate of respectively List X and Numbering X or of List/Numbering X Cont, latter one while List/Numbering X Cont to be derivates of respectively List X and Numbering X.

You choose what List Style a Paragraph Style uses by right clicking on the Paragraph Style and selecting Modify from the context menu. Go to the Outline & List tab. In the Apply List Style area, use the drop-down box to select the list style you want to use.

Your taste about which kind of bullet or numbering is personal. So developers chose not to impose their views upon you. I admit it is a bit weird to have List n and Numbering n* paragraph styles without the expected “decorations”.

But considering paragraph styles (and more generally styles in any category, character, page, frame, list) are in fact a way to meta-annotate your text with author’s idea of significance, it makes sense to apply List n or Numbering n even without bullet or numbering because you want these paragraphs to have “list item” semantics.

All you have to do is to attach a list style to the paragraph style (Outline & List tab).

List n are intended for bullet lists and Numbering n for numbered lists.

The variants for given n are supposed to be linked to the same list style, e.g. List 1, List 1 Start, List 1 Cont. and List 1 End to Bullet -. Usually they’ll differ in spacing above and below.

What “<nothing>”, Start, Cont. and End stand for is left to your imagination. I use Start for the first item in a list, Cont. for the running ones and Last for the last item with spacings set so that the list as a whole is relatively “compact” with more spaces above the first item and below the last one. List n is used for single item lists (may seem weird but this may happen, mostly with numbered items when the various “clauses” are separated by non-list paragraphs).

For a more general discussion, read this question. Note that I changed my routine since then and I now no longer use List n Cont. or List n for unnumbered entry because it is “easier” to create an unnumbered item by pressing Bksp at the beginning of the item, thus keeping an uninterrupted List n Cont. sequence.

Last, why aren’t the variants derived from List n or Numbering n instead of being independent?
I filed bug tdf#68263 to report a completely messy behaviour when paragraph styles are linked to a list style. Presently, you can’t unfortunately derive List n or Numbering n variants from a paragraph style which is already associated with a list style. Wait for bug solution.

1 Like