Suggested upgrade again

Asked before…sorry, long ago. Why should I upgrade? “LibreOffice 24.2.6 is available. The installed version is LibreOffice 7.6.7.2.” Last time I upgraded I lost access to most of my files for, like, EVER. Don’t want to happen again, like, ever. Why should I upgrade? Why take the chance? I look around at all the problems everyone (?) has. I’m just a geek writer, not a computer person. Do I need these hassles?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/24.2

You can disable the update notification under Tools>Options>LibreOffice>Online Update

1 Like

Thank you! I see you responding quite a lot. You must be very helpful to so many!

Right now, I just can’t sleep. It’s 2 in the morning here.

Preventing data disaster - The Document Foundation Wiki

It’s the evolving project, and you simply use (some of) its functionality, including the notifications about the landed results of developers’ work on further improvements (which notifications are enabled by default). It’s not that someone in the project tells you what you should of shouldn’t - it’s not a sect. It’s up to you to decide that you need or needn’t to, say, learn styles, or use Mail Merge, or that you need or needn’t to upgrade.

There is a why the project continues evolving; and that’s independent of your ideas (unless you file bugs / fill feature request, at which point you become an influencer). We keep fixing bugs (which may or may not affect you); we keep hardening software and eliminate security vulnerabilities (which may or may not be important to you); we keep adding things (other) users ask for (which may or may not be useful to you). We keep making mistakes (which obviously affected you at least once; and obviously caused the “I believe that since I experienced that once, I know that it’s all what the upgrades are about, and I believe that I didn’t miss anything important I needed to do when upgraded that time” idea - well, it’s your choice).

Note that, since version 24.8.1, there will be an auto-updater functionality enabled by default in Windows versions installed from MSI (because people asked for it); you may want to disable it (if it’s your OS).

And also, you obviously look at the exchange on the site dedicated to resolving problems of users of the software, and imagine that looking at such a biased information source, you get any kind of descent idea of general user experience. Fun; think what are the chances that you would see here a post like “I have no problems, thank you!” here - even if they are 99,99%? Well, I don’t claim that my percentage is close to truth: what I say is, that people who are okay with it won’t visit this site, and would simply use it without notifying you; and when you are in a hospital, you are naturally surrounded by suffering people, which by itself tells you nothing about the situation in the city. The most incredible thing is, rather, that we still do receive such “I just came to thank you” messages here, after all.

3 Likes