Suggestion: Format numers in Calc Cell by Computer Units

It’s my first writing in this forum, so please excuse if my suggestion is an old one…
I’m about to make a Calc Spreadsheet list of my USB Harddisks, and would like to add their sizes (Total, Used and Free) by their integer values f.ex: 98491984, but get the value presented by the standard computer units, f.ex. 94G. The new format is similar to the engineering format, that divides the number by 1000; the computer format should use 1024 as base and the standard units: B, KB, MB, … as representation.
Kind Regards, Kim

Welcome Kim!
Perhaps for your purposes it will be enough to still store the value as an integer number of bytes, so that later you can perform actions with them (for example, sum or find the average), but somewhere nearby, in the next cell, see them as an integer or double kilo-mega -terabyte?
Perhaps such a UDF will do just that?

Option Explicit 
Function ConvertBytes(inputBytes As Double, Optional digitPlaces As Integer) As String 
Dim sTargetFormat As String 
Dim nPower As Integer 
Dim aMeasurement As Variant 
	aMeasurement = Array("B","MiB","GiB","TiB","PiB","EiB","ZiB","YiB")
	If IsMissing(digitPlaces) Then digitPlaces = 0
	If digitPlaces Then 
		sTargetFormat = "0." & String(digitPlaces,"0")
	Else 
		sTargetFormat = "0"
	EndIf
	nPower = LBound(aMeasurement)
	Do While nPower < UBound(aMeasurement)
		If inputBytes > 1024 Then
			inputBytes = inputBytes / 1024
			nPower = nPower + 1
		Else
			Exit Do 
		EndIf 
	Loop
	ConvertBytes = Format(inputBytes,sTargetFormat) & " " & aMeasurement(nPower)
End Function

Just call it like =CONVERTBYTES(D2) or =CONVERTBYTES(D2;3)
Pay attention to the designation of units. I used IEC notation because systems based on powers of 2, however, might use binary prefixes (kibi, mebi, gibi, …) and their corresponding symbols (Ki, Mi, Gi, …) or they might use the prefixes K, M, and G, creating ambiguity

Of course, you can change them for your convenience.

Of course, you can also use the built-in function CONVERT() - just don’t forget to specify ki, Mi, Gi instead of the usual k, M, G - the calculation will be carried out correctly, with the base 1024.

2 Likes

Hi Vladyslav,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try that to start with.

Kind Regards, Kim