Table properties are reset when reopening docx document

I have a created a docx file and embedded a table with custom table properties (I use the Academic format for tables). After saving and closing the document, the table’s custom properties have been reset. This does not happen when I save the document in odt.

I have read how to solve this problem with odt format, but not with docx.

There are really plenty of bugs reported for docx and tables (https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/buglist.cgi?component=Writer&product=LibreOffice&query_format=advanced&resolution=—&short_desc=table%20docx&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr). A more detailed description of the custom properties you made would be required to figure out, whether your observation is worth a new bug report or covered by an existing bug report.

I only modified a single table property: when inserting table, I clicked on “Autoformat” and then selected “Academic” as format. After saving, closing and reopening, the table no longer appears with the Academic format. Thanks for your help.

You have been warned

Word does not support all formatting properties available in Writer, and vice versa. The docx format is tailored to cater for Word functionality. For Writer-specific features (which do not exist in Word) you cannot expect that the docx format provides a suitable way to preserve the feature. In particular, I see that complex table setup and other spacing/dividing mechanisms suffer in transitions between Word context and Writer context.

When you choose to save from Writer to a “foreign” storage format (like docx), by default there is a warning that there may be loss of content/formatting. Heed this warning if your content/design is important to you.

Why do you need to use docx?

• If it is for collaboration, everyone should be using the same tool. You could convince everyone to use LibreOffice (so the table feature you used will be preserved) or start using Word yourself (assuming that it is what everyone else is using).
  • If you need to submit your content to someone who do not accept ODF files, PDF is likely to be allowed. Everyone can read a PDF. Content and design is reliably preserved with a PDF. (Everyone with MS Office can also read ODF files, but as mentioned, there may be formatting issues.)
  • If you consider docx a more “professional format to use”, think again. ODF is the “cleaner choice”. The OOXML format specification (of which docx is a component) is a mess. Reliable (to my experience) when you work exclusively in MS Office, but to be avoided when you use other software.

Rant alert

I recall the original ODF spec totalling just below 700 pages, contained in one document. ISO certification took a while, but did not seem to pose any real problem. The OOXML format (totalling 7000+ pages in 8 or 9 documents) was halted by ISO, in part because of widespread use of “self referencing” which did not resolve to generalized functionality. For some reason, the certification of OOXML was sidetracked fasttracked. OOXML is currently ISO certified in two flavors: The “strict OOXML” certified for creation of new documents, and the “Transitional OOXML” certified for the faithful reproduction of existing MS Office documents. MS Office consistently uses the transitional variety for new documents, contrary to the condition for certification.

See also this question, with a similar context.

Thanks for this detailed answer. Actually, I would love that everyone uses LibreOffice. But I have to submit a manuscript to a scientific journal and unfortunately it only accepts docx files for submission. I wll probably need to transition to Word for this paper, or consider another venue for publication…

I see that several scientific publishers use the ScholarOne service to manage article submission workflow. ScholarOne does not support ODF files, but it does support PDF (internally it converts all input formats to PDF), so you might make an inquiry about whether submitting a PDF is acceptable. This way, you can also preview your submission and be confident that what you see is what the recipient will see.

If my memory serves me right, I discussed this a while ago with someone who submitted work as PDF to BMJ, who at that time requested that all submissions be Word files.

Good luck with having your work published!