Text cursor gone, can't see what I type, and missing words from file

ever since I updated to 7.6, writer has seemed to mess things up. I have a file that is a list for tracking game mods I use which has a category named after a specific game followed by bullet points and the category names are missing so its just the bullet points jammed together, On top of that the text cursor is gone and when I try typing the character/word counters go up but I can’t see them. I have tried changing the font color to black but still the stuff I type is not showing up

Please test in safe mode, Menu/Help/Restart in Safe Mode

Tried safe mode and the problem persists, I did notice that the cursor and text showed up again only after continuing the bullet points, and for some reason, the category names show up if I drag the text and move it but won’t show up anyway else

Please attach a sample file, and paste the information in Menu/Help/About LibreOffice, there is an icon to copy.
Edit your question for that, please.

Mod tracker.odt (25.1 KB)
Version: 7.6.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 69edd8b8ebc41d00b4de3915dc82f8f0fc3b6265
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

wording was hard to follow but I hope this is what you meant also by editing the question?

The file looks fine as intended to me.

• Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, right click on LibreOffice and select Repair
  • This shouldn’t have any effect if LibreOffice Safe Mode doesn’t, but you could try it if the above doesn’t work. Click Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and tick the box Force Skia software rendering. You will need to restart LibreOffice for it to take effect.

Version: 7.6.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 69edd8b8ebc41d00b4de3915dc82f8f0fc3b6265
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-NZ (en_NZ); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL threaded

trying to repair it from the Windows program and features, said it was a network resource so I downloaded the latest release and tried the repair function in the installer which didn’t work either. Before putting up this thread I found a video/site saying to fiddle with the skia rendering option which didn’t work

Displays as intended under Fedora 38 (Linux).
I notice font is Liberation Serif (and not substituted). Since this is not a standard Window$ font, maybe you have not installed it. What happens if you change font for something more Window$-like?

1 Like

I think it might be a error in the installation of LibreOffice. I would be inclined to save a copy of the user folder (see LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki) to elsewhere then uninstall LibreOffice completely, do not keep settings. Your templates will likely be removed as they are in the user folder which you just saved elsewhere but your existing documents,spreadsheets, etc will not be touched. Restart Windows and install LibreOffice again.

On a personal note, I have only just moved to LibreOffice 7.5.5.2 from 7.3.7.2 for my work. I do have an installation of LO 7.6.0.3 for testing purposes but it is too new to use for important work. I recommend you install 7.5.5.2

@ajlittoz LibreOffice bundles the fonts in the Windows (and Mac) installation, see Fonts - The Document Foundation Wiki

This was the solution, thanks a million. changed it to Times New Roman and the missing category names, text cursor, and new letters started showing up so in the future I’ll make sure I’m using windows recognized fonts unless using a Linux distro

Maybe you customised the installation and didn’t install any fonts or the windows font cache is corrupted, either way you should expect more problems.

I think you need Open Symbol font and I would install Liberation Serif and Liberation Sans because LibreOffice expects them, there may be others.

[Edit a few hours later]
See comment 10 for essential fonts, 91886 – Make font installation optional in Windows GUI