Themself - as a word, yes this is a word

Hello!

So I have been having this ongoing issue and concern with LibreOffice since it’s use. The app works flawlessly as an Office Package, just as well as Google Docs or Microsoft Office so much that it has replaced them but I am having issue with the autocorrect system. I need to use the term Themself, but it autocorrects to Themselves.

Themself is a term to mean singular neutral(no gender) and I have to use it several times in my letter writings. Is there a way to tweek the settings to allow me to write themself without the auto correction kicking in. I don’t want to disable to autocorrect, I just want it to identify Themself as a proper word.

Thank you for your time,
Andrea Gorney, LMHC

A see differences between the UK and US dictionary of my LO 7.5.8 version

The word “Themself” is underlined in an English US language paragraph, but not underlined in an English UK language paragraph.
Please check the language setting of the actual document/paragraph… Check the applied styles and the direct formatting properties too.

(I do not know if it is a real (existing) difference between the English languages…)

1 Like

Go to Tools>AutoCorrect>AutoCorrect Options. Go to the Replace tab. Type “themself” in the text box beneath Replace. You will see “themself” highlighted in the large area below with “themselves” highlighted in the large area below With. Click on the Delete button.

1 Like

If you don’t want to disable AutoCorrect nor customise the replacement table (which is a permanent change), just press Ctrl+Z (undo) immediately after the word has changed.

1 Like