Toolbar Background Split

My toolbars on Calc and Writer have changed to have a split background color.

Updating to 24.2.5.2 and rebooting didn’t help. Any thoughts on how to fix this? It’s just annoying, but it would be nice to get back to “normal”.

Sorry, pasted the wrong screenshot. Here’s the correct one

Have you tried restarting the computer? If you are on Windows then choose Restart because shut down now defaults to hibernate

If still there on reboot, then try updating your graphics drivers

If that makes no difference then see if safe mode shows the split, Help - Restart in safe mode

Thanks very much for your reply!

A restart didn’t help. I have no graphics card, - I just use the Intel on-chip graphics so I didn’t mess with the drivers. But when I restarted LibreOffice Writer in Safe Mode I received this prompt:

And when I clicked on “Continue in Safe Mode”, the problem was gone. I then closed OpenOffice and re-opened it, - presumably no longer in safe mode, and the problem was fixed! I do see that my list of recent documents is empty, but that will repopulate.

Just out of curiosity, what other things did opening in safe mode do with that one box checked?

I just use the Intel on-chip graphics so I didn’t mess with the drivers.
I think that’s not the reality. They use the graphics driver. Intel has a good program to update the drivers.

1 Like

It made a big difference to my computer, which uses Intel UHD 620, after upgrading from the laptop original drivers to the up-to-date Intel ones.

If it happens again or you get funny graphics issues, e.g. in Calc an unexpected black highlight appears in the Formula bar, then click Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and tick the box Force Skia software rendering

That implies that you might have reset your profile to factory settings. Check your Templates, etc. For more information, see LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki

Mariosv and EarnestAI
Thanks for responding. Here’s my experience with graphics updates.

I get notices from Intel every 3 or 4 months to update the UHD620 driver. I used to apply each one, but back in December I had the update fail “due to lack of memory”. I have a Dell 8940 desktop with 16Gb of RAM and a 500GB boot drive, so that is a weird error message. Then, in March, a newer update appeared. I tried to install that one and the system locked up. Black screen. Dead. Fortunately, my system has a second boot drive (imaged monthly) and I also have a full system backup that’s updated daily. I cursed a good bit and rebuilt the system. No more graphics updates for me. Those graphics updates all seem to fix weird problems with computer games that I don’t use.

Thanks for the tip on using Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and tick the box Force Skia software rendering. I will try that if I have issues in the future.

Oh, and my one template seems to have survived the boot in safe mode. I don’t customize much.

Then definitely click Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and tick the box Force Skia software rendering