trying to create header/footer template

I’m really battling with this, been to the wiki
https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Creating_a_Page_Style_Based_on_the_Current_Page
Which confuses me more than helps…

I have a new business and am trying to create a letterhead.
I’ve created the look I want but don’t get the way Styles / templates relate, and what would be easiest.

My first page should have header and footer, and then all the other pages should just have a footer.

Is there a better tutorial than the one I linked to please?
tx
Mark.

For the first page use page style: First Page.

Automatically it will run into the next page based on Default page style.

What you save in the headers/footers will be present when opened resp. prolonged from page 1 to page 2.
Save as a template.
Then goto menu File > Templates > Manage… - you could set it as a default page or a regular template page.

See my sample file, type in some text so that a second page will open. The header changes…

Download Writer file

Thanks, I will try these suggestions out.
Cheers,
Mark.

Creating a template for letter stationery is a good idea. A template is merely a “skeletal” document you save with a specific procedure to give the correct type and stored it in the required location.

Your first step is two create your “skeletal” letter. From your description, you’ll need two page styles. The simplest method is to customise two built-in page styles: First Page and Default Style. As shipped, First page automatically switches to Default Page when the first page is full (or you force next page with a page break). Consequently, part of your specification is already set.

To customise page styles, display the style sidepane with F11 (unless you’re on a Mac) and click on the fourth icon from left (the one with a small page symbol).

• right-click on the style to change and Modify
  • in Page tab, set paper format and margins
  • in Header/Footer tabs, enable the header/footer and adjust the area dimensions if necessary
  • push OK to record the changes

When styles updated, start writing your letter first page after a double click on First Page to style the first page. Enter your logo and coordinates in the header/footer. Eventually, add date and fixed text, such as topic or subject. You can insert fields such as date so that it is automatically set when you open your template. You can even add your title and name, leaving space for signature (remember that if you later add text before your “signature”, the signature will be pushed down, eventually overflowing on subsequent Default Style pages, consequently it does not matter if it is on the first page). However, it is better to tag the signature paragraph as Do not split paragraph and/or Keep with next paragraph in case you have several, so that the signature “block” is always laid together and not broken by end of page.

You can also customise the paragraph and character styles: they will be incorporated into future documents based on the template. The goal is to never have the need to change the styles in the letters if your template is well designed.

I recommend you save your “skeletal” letter in one of your personal directories (folders, e.g. a “stationery” folder) so that you always have it at hand for editing without the trouble of looking for it in the internal LO directories.

Next, File>Templates>Save as Template. Select My Templates category and eventually click Set as default template if you only write letters with this template and no other documents.

In case you want more information, edit your question or comment my answer. Answers are reserved for solutions, not for follow-on discussion.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

(2019-05-16 EDIT: remove typos and misspellings)

Thank you both for your answers and for taking the time to be so helpful!

I will get to it tomorrow morning.

Thanks again, Mark.