Unable to move images in Impress

In Libreoffice Impress, I am trying to move a large image PNG image within a slide while pressing the left mouse key and dragging the image within the slide. But it hardly moves, mostly seems stuck. Can you please help?

Here is the loom video recording of the issue that I am facing.

OS version? LibreOffice version?

Hi,
I only can see that the image is an “entity” and no group and that transparency is one of its properties (PNG format; full colors?). So the used memory could be a bit much for your app. Did you insert the image via clipboard?

Is it sensible to have a portrait format in the given dimension? Shouldn’t it be better to split the image into some parts?
For better positioning the image you additionally could use its properties and fill in the values for position X and Y.

For better working on your presentation share your file including the image (similar to your video).

Hey, thanks for being here for the rescue :slight_smile:

Please check this link: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZAdkC0ZTzbUh5xMTx0QuYPAlfnevbgs6hT7

A little background: I want to create a design portfolio for showcasing my work. Being a UX designer, it is good to have high-res images of your work to show proper detailing. I want to develop the portfolio in the form of a shareable PDF, where, once I present all my work in the Impress presentation

file, I shall export the entire document to PDF.

It is noteworthy that this file shall be considerably large as it will contain mostly high resolution images of my work.

Now coming to your questions:

1. OS: Windows 10
  2. Libreoffice Impress version: Screenshot attached in the above link
  3. I inserted the image via ‘Insert’ from the top taskbar.
  4. About the memory: I am not sure. I would be happy to know more about it and how I can optimise it.
  5. About portrait/ landscape orientation of my image, or splitting: As we do in PowerPoint, I want to play around with my image to see how it looks better before deciding to split the long image into 2 parts or so. But in any case, I want a seamless and immersive experience.
  6. Presentation file: Available via above cloud link.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks in advance!

@rishimathurofc1
Thank you for your sample file: 27,9 MB (for one page/slide)
I exported the image into PNG format, compression 9: 5,1 MB
I exported the image into JPG format, compression 75: 979 kB

My guess was that the amount of space/memory seems to be too much, I think I was right.

Advice
Copy and reduce the image to a small space as a sketch and check the optimal design. Then split the the original image for the desired purpose. Check differences of space for …

• PNG format, full colors and reduced colors
  • JPG format, different compression rates
  • webp format as a new lossless format with high compression (hoping that LibreOffice can handle it successful now - be aware to use one of the latest LO versions)

GIMP could be a sufficient tool for image managing/manipulating.

Godspeed

Thank you so much for your kind help.

One last thing please: Can you please guide me with step by step process? I am pretty new to Libreoffice and I am still learning it.

Please elaborate your process and suggestions. It would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance!

@rishimathurofc1
As I have seen your image is saved in a directory. Work on the image with GIMP or another dedicated program, I regularly prefer XnView or XnViewMP, also IrfanView is recommendable. Whether the latter programs can work an WEBP format I don’t know, GIMP can.

If you are not familiar with the recommended apps you have to learn the basics; sometimes youtube videos may be helpful. Otherwise change the forum to some of these apps. Godspeed.