Underscore for _italics_

Hi, would you please make underscores activate italics instead of underline in Writer?
This would be a more logical feature for those who are coming from MS Word. Moreover, I think few people underline words while writing a text, while a couple of words in italics come in almost every text.

These points seem exactly right to me. So, the user should at least be given the option. (I presume the user is not given the option at present . . I am new to Writer.)

You will have to file a bug/enhancement request at buzilla. See Inappropriate questions.

Don’t bring up MS Office there if you can possibly avoid it. It’s far better to point out that underlining was the typewriter’s way of accentuating text, and that underlining is rarely used nowadays, if at all, so that in fact this is a useless shortcut.

On a side note, apparently underlining isn’t even an option in the edit box on this forum. You might bring that up, too, but at your own risk.

Wouldn’t make more sense to add ** for italic when there is * for bold and _ for underline instead of changing what’s already in there and not adding what is missing? This way it would be equivalent to how it’s done in markdown.

I’d leave that to the OP - and the developers, if they decide to act on a report.

I rarely or never use that shortcut - I don’t use boldface in normal documents (as opposed to forum posts) except in headings, where it’s turned on in the style, and for Italics I have good old Ctrl+I. IMNSHO: when you use italics so often that _ is a time saver, you probably use it too much.

Yes, I know it’s up to OP so I’m trying to be suggestive :smiley:

Then you should comment the question. I was merely being suggestive as well. :slight_smile:

image description