Update styles does not work :(

So, I have a nice document where I have edited some of the default styles, after I used them.

Now, when I do styles->update styles (ctrl+shift+F11) nothing happens. Even worse, the title does not show up in the navigator. It just seems the title style has disappeared but is visible in the list of styles? Am I doing anything wrong? Have I triggered a bug?

I have one custom paragraph style for a drop caps and have chained several styles, but imho this should not be an issue.

I am using LO 24.2.5.2 flatpak.

Please upload an ODF type sample file here.

Here’s the document in which it happens. The issue happens with the title (on page 1).

It displays as normal text, but has the “title” style. However, it does not occur in the navigator view. When I try to apply the title style, nothing happens. In reality it appears to just be normal text (which it should not be).

I hope this helps with finding the issue in there.
Aardstovenaar.odt (13.1 KB)

Why have you applied Dop Caps character style all over your text? Drop Caps forces Liberation Serif 12 pt.

I remind you the precedence rule:

• paragraph style is in the bottom layer
  • character style overrides paragraph style,
  • direct formatting is in the top layer and overrides both paragraph and character styles

Remove your global Drop Caps application and everything will be back to normal:

1. select all text Ctrl+A
  2. apply No Character Style by double-clicking in the side style pane (character style view)

Thanks!

I’m just getting started with actually using LibreOffice Writer, mistakes are bound to happen. Part of the learning process, I guess.

Now, one more issue remains. The title used to show up in the navigator view, but not anymore. Even with this fix regarding character style you suggested applied, my title still doesn’t show up in the navigator. How do I fix that? For the life of me, I can’t find a way to fix it.

Or is this a separate issue for which I need to open a new topic?

Found my own fix:

In the style panel, go to the Outline & List tab and under the heading Outline set Outline level to Level 1. Problem fixed.

Is there a better solution?

What you did is “semantically wrong”.

A “title” occurs only once in a book, usually on the cover page. It is not intended to go into the TOC; therefore it is not attached to any outline level.

I assume you’re looking at the Headings section in the Navigator. This section lists all “headings” (taken in a very generic meaning for paragraphs in the outline). These “headings” are the recurring chapter, sub-chapter, … “titles” (technically headings in Writer parlance). The most common way to include them there is to style Heading n.

Traditional usage for Heading n is n=1 for chapters, n=2 for sub-chapters, … In very big books, you could have n=1 for part, n=2 for chapters, n=3 for sub-chapters, …

As a general rule, avoid assigning outline level for one-of-a-kind paragraphs. Doing so has many side-effects and if you’re only starting to learn LO Writer, you’ll have unexpected “surprises”.

Thanks again.

I took Title’s level assignment away, to prevent future mysterious problems.

I guess the accidental application of the drop caps style to the entire document came around when I defined it.

I have a lot to learn, but I’m already happy I achieved some automation and drop caps. I’m hoping to achieve more automation, but uncle google may be helpful with that.

I think AskLO is much better when it comes to Writer specifics.

And that too:

English documentation