Using 7.3.7.2 and upgrade?

Have been using 7.3.7.2 for a couple of years. Should I upgrade to something later and what? Use calc only. Would like to upgrade at the press of a button? That is easily
Thanks
Charles

This problem arose exactly because of using 7.3, where that specific bug wasn’t fixed: SAXE xception: [word/document.xml line 2]: Opening and ending tag mismatch: p line 2 and hyperlink

When you use stores, you often don’t even need a single press of a button - it happens automatically; but that option is paid (except on Linux, where the “stores” are distros’ package managers). Also, you don’t choose when to upgrade then; it is updated usually several days/weeks later.

Yes you should upgrade, much has been fixed since 7.3.x

Would like to upgrade at the press of a button?

I’d recommend 24.2.5 from the libreoffice.org website; and although you can simply run the installer and upgrade the version you have, I would recommend backing up your user profile and creating a new one for the simple reason that old settings and changes may cause issues in newer versions. You could however just upgrade and see if you have problems.

There is no “at the press of a button” upgrade path. Each time, AFAIK, there is a full installation, which requires more than a single button, or mouse/keyboard interaction. Things might be slightly different if you are upgrading through one of the software stores such as the Microsoft application store or Apple AppStore, but otherwise no “fire and forget”.

Hi
Bear with me I am 80 yo. Using LinuxMint 21.3

Have downloaded the 24.2.5 and have in its own folder in documents. Have extracted the file. Where do I locate the installer with upgrade from 7.3.7.2. Look forward to upgrading and using.
Charles

I would highly suggest adding the LibreOffice repository so your system always pulls updates when you tell it to.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa should do it but you’ll need to be familiar with managing software updates on a linux system.

Then use your package manager apt-get perhaps to install the latest LibreOffice 24.2.5

1 Like