Using the Draw program- How to mirror image text

I’m trying to make a decal to go on the back side of a piece of glass. I need to put some numbering and words but I need to be able to reverse and mirror the lettering and text. Is there a way to do this without converting to an image like a jpg file? If I do that, I loses the easy ability to change color and weight of the font.

Insert->Fontwork

1 Like

Mike is correct in his tip to use a Fontwork shape. But it might be that you need a shape where the text does not stretch to shape size. The file StraightLineFontwork.odp (11.8 KB), that I have attached here, contains a Fontwork shape with one straight line, where the text is not stretchy. Such shape is not available in the set of predefined Fontwork shapes.

You find more details about Fontwork shapes in my workshop on LibreOffice Conference Milano 2022. Creating 'Fontwork' geometries beyond the predefined shapes :: LibreOffice Conference 2022 :: pretalx

2 Likes

Thank you both for your suggestions. The problem is I need to use a specific font which isn’t available in Fontwork. (Unless it’s a matter of not knowing how to use Fontwork properly). I think I’ve discovered a pretty good workaround. I’m doing my entire drawing including the text and exporting it as a .bmp file. I can then take the .bmp file and flip it using Windows Paint. It seems to work fine. I will test out your Srtaighlinefontwork.odp file to see how it works and I thank you for it. Where do I put this file?
Thanks again for your reply.

You can save the file to any place you want. Then open the file in Impress. Copy a shape from there and paste it into your document in Draw. Double-click the shape. Now you are in edit mode. Press Ctrl-A to select the entire text. Select the desired font and the desired font size. Then write your text. Press Esc to exit edit mode. Now use the area fill of the shape to set the desired color. Then drag the shape larger until the text does no longer enlarge as you drag. Now you can use the flip icons to set or remove mirroring the shape.

All fonts available in other areas of LibreOffice should be available for Fontwork as well - otherwise it would be a bug.