View issues with Version: 6.0.7.3 Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10.

I had LO 6.3.3.2 installed, downloaded from LO. But I was unable to correct the line spacing in the Styles and Formatting toolbar, and trying to fix it I discovered that it would hang if I clicked on Tools > Customize. After much effort I gave up and uninstalled 6.3.3.2, and then installed 6.07 from the Ubuntu repositories. Tools > Customize no longer hangs the program, but now I have other problems.

I keep my toolbars floating off to the right. Here is an image: [Imgur: The magic of the Internet]

The Formatting toolbar was missing more than half the icons, replaced with the text for the function. For example, instead of an icon showing a character with a line above it, I saw just ‘overline.’ I tried to add the correct icon by customizing the toolbar, but there were only a couple dozen icons available, and none for overline. I have installed all the themes I can find and, although in Tools > Options I can now select different sets of icons, the only one which has all the icons is Breeze. Are there more icon sets available somewhere?

There is an even worse problem. I cannot view the Styles and Formatting toolbar at all. When I select it the toolbar flashes for a split second on the screen and then disappears. It doesn’t matter if I select it with Formatting > Styles and Formatting or with F11. With 6.3.3.2 the line spacing for the styles was off, and now the toolbar can’t even be viewed. I’m going from bad to worse.

Furthermore, the scrollbars are the thickness of a pencil lead; just about impossible to hit with the mouse. I know that this is because of an issue with gtk3, but the gtk3 integration package is properly installed. The scrollbars appear correctly in all my other applications, so I don’t know why they are unusable in LO.

Can someone offer suggestions for how to fix these issues?

Do you know this document? From your question I take the information that you got a HiDPI (3840x2160).

Yes, I do have a 3840x2160 display (which is xhdpi, not hdpi). And yes, that was my first question here. I solved that problem by uninstalling the version of LO that I downloaded from here (6.3.3.2) and installing instead the version in the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories (6.07). However, while 6.07 stopped the problem of hanging on Tools > Customize, it gives me the new problems listed above. I need a version that works.

I looked at the document that you linked and its suggestions just made things worse. For example, it said to set the dpi to 192, but that made fonts in applications appear over 1cm tall. To make things usable I had to set the font size down to 4 pts. I changed the dpi back to the 150 that I had set it at and things are now usable again, although there are still things that need fixing.

I agree that UHD displays are not yet easily configurable on Linux, but none of that has anything to do with the Styles toolbar appearing for a split second and then disappearing.

If newer version didn’t have those problems, possibly you might want to still use it - but not from LibreOffice site, but from the PPA of “LibreOffice Packaging” team. It should have the same level of integration with the system as the standard version from the repo; simply adding the PPA to the sources.list will allow you to update your installed LibreOffice from Ubuntu repository.

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion. I had already downloaded Version: 6.3.4.2 from LO.org, but I installed the PPA anyway, because it does make it easier.
And the good news is that the Styles toolbar now appears without immediately disappearing. (Yay!) The only remaining problem is that the line spacing in the list of styles is to about half what it should be, so the items are about 50% stacked on top of each other. I can still read them, though. And, as I noted in my previous post, the line spacing immediately corrects itself if I go into Tools > Options > Personalize and select any of the themes, or if a theme is already selected changing it to ‘no themes.’ But then, the second I close the window the list immediately goes back to the too-narrow line spacing. It’s as if the theme is not working, or something is nullifying its effects.
Here is an image of what it looks like: link text
The line spacing must be from my 4K monitor settings.