What!! I already wrote on the previous page...... Start over??!!

The new version of Libre Office is making me crazy. Toooooo many changes including defaults I do not want and do not know how to change or even if I can change them. And PDFs??? I cannot edit any of my saved PDFs. WHY not?? I don’t want yet another way to do that. No Thank you - getting too complicated. Even my Libre documents open in read-only mode. WHAT??>!!! Then I cannot save them as the same document with some changes. I end up with MORE NEW documents with similar names. Again: NO THANK YOU!
Now I am afraid to open any of my Libre Spreadsheets to discover what you have made MORE DIFFICULT.
I am not a ‘geek’ or techy. Do NOT force me to try to be one. I do not see the benefit in any of these changes.
I may have to give up Libre Office which I have been using for years without any problems

Stefany G Burrowes

This is a site for questions and answers about LibreOffice usage. Yours is not even a question, but just a bunch of b*%#*#@%. So, get a downvote.

I may have to give up Libre Office

Do it as soon as possible and spare us from your nonsense yelling.

@gabix,

Edited your comment. I don’t disagree that the question really doesn’t ask a question at all, but there is a wide variety of viewers on this site and inappropriate language at any level is not needed.

I’ve seen worse rants in the OpenOffice forum(s), that were dealt with politely and co-operatively, and that sometimes resulted in the OP becoming co-operative as well.

Rants by newcomers are no excuse for trolling. Downvoting doesn’t make much sense on a message board where the voting system doesn’t work properly, it certainly doesn’t make sense for someone with 1 karma, anyway. Here you could have closed the topic with Too argumentative as reason.

And downvoting a 1-karma user is an excellent trick for malicious groups to grant undue privileges to an accomplice: downvote, then another member upvotes to cancel the downvote. This does not only revert the downvote but user becomes 11-karma without really deserving it. I don’t know if repeating the trick could elevate said user enough to grant him enough privileges to damage the site.

I stand corrected. Never thought of that. I assumed that karma would go down to -9.

… worse rants in the OpenOffice forum

This is not a forum.

@anon87010807: this is one of the many “quirks” of AskBot because karma never goes negative

@gabix: learn to read and quit the trolling. Index page • Apache OpenOffice Community Forum is a forum. The old www.oooforum.org was a forum , but it was spammed into a permanent coma.

I also know an OpenOffice forum (more and more shifting from AOO to LibO) where high-ranking contrinbutor(s) sometimes bug out and use terms we should deprecate.

However, we may need to accept that humans are human also in doubtable ways, and we should practise clemency.
Warfare is human, and so is ranting. I would love the second if it made vanish the first.

@SGB: You seem to be the only user of LibreOffice who has a version allowig to “edit any of my saved PDFs”. Congratulaions! Keep it!

What certain amount of sarcasm or mockery is acceptable?
I will accept criticism.

@ajlittoz: that’s not a quirk but, by my new understanding, a security issue. Downvote twenty questions by one user in a gang, then upvote them at exactly the same moment might, with some (bad) luck give the gang member 201 karma, enough to do anything.

@anon87010807: the scenario requires an already “privileged” user allowed to upvote and with enough karma to be able to lose 2 points per downvote. Then downvote enough the question to reach -20. Target user karma will keep at 1 because you can’t have less than that. Then upvote the question. Each upvote rewards 10 points. And you’re done.

The balance is: a cost of 40 points on the “primer” and a gain of 200 on the target. And if you have enough initial karma you can even go beyond. You need 50 [downvote privilege] + 2×(objective/10) points. Therefore with an initial 90-karma, you can reach 200. 200-karma allows you to elevate to 750! The minimum to play this game is 63 which leaves you on par.

What about discussing such “vulnerabilities” puplicly without a chance to get it fixed? A security issue in itself?

@Lupp: I agree this is clumsy.

One of the other twists in AskBot: I can’t delete my previous comment, but you can. Please do it for me.

@ajlittoz: Yes. And the format issues I often got very angry about may seem minor under the mentioned aspects.
askbot doesn’t seem a serious software. However, if someone asked me what software (Q&A or “forum” - CMS) I would prefer I couldn’t make a reliable suggestion. The field may be mined to some degree.
The late libreofficeformum.org (where Owen had his great time already) had thousands of helpful and articles rich in substance and everything, but was closed down years ago due to an upgrade of the used CMS. The main administrator told the users he couldn’t afford the time needed to move the old content to the new version. It’s a mess.

You are welcome to use whatever office suite you like but don’t blame LibreOffice for your current problems. It is due to your operating system (unknown) or your anti virus anti ransom ware settings.

See my answer to question 267726. Cheers, Al

And PDFs!!?? I cannot edit any of my
saved PDFs. WHY not??

Because the PDF file format was not developed for editing. It is for reading and printing - with a long time compatibility. (PDF : Portable Document Format)

Use the ODF file formats for your document. (ODF : Open Document Format, it is an international standard.)

The LibreOffice Draw can “edit” the PDF files, but you can do only some cosmetics on the pdf files.

The LibreOffice can save the documents into hybrid PDF file format, too: this file type contains the original ODF file for the editing, and contains the PDF version of the document for the easy reading of the document.