What settings must be changed to correspond of the formula to the example with non italic greek?

What settings must be changed to exact correspond of the formula to the example in Math with non italic greek? Adding quotation or nitalic marks for %pi indicates a deviation from the example. This is at versions 7.3.7.2 and 7.5.8.2 with default settings and clear installation on Windows 10.

In accordance with the ‘LibreOffice Math Guide Version 7.0’, both capital and small Greek characters must be non-italicized with the default settings of Math. This is because italics are reserved for specific codes with an additional letter ‘i’.

imagen

imagen

imagen

1 Like

Thank you for your response. However, in the example, there are no quotation marks or other formatting. Adding quotation marks implies a deviation from the example. This question is about Math settings to precisely match the example. After all, the developers created examples using the written code without quotation.

Sure. But who knows what year those samples were created.

I know. I made the change that moved the elements of Math to sidebar, and I know how the samples get generated on the fly. Dynamically, not using a pre-rendered bitmap. Which is why e.g. they used to get corrupted, when OpenSymbol was missing on the system.

1 Like

So, this is the answer?

No… I believe that @Regina gave the answer. The routine that generates the previews uses some hardcoded settings; possibly these settings use the GreekCharStyle value inconsistent with what is in the open document.

I only mentioned the font problem as a visual (user-visible) manifestation of the dynamic nature of the previews.

1 Like

I don’t think so. If I catch correctly the question, it is about understanding why the examples look non italic while user-designed formulas are italic.
Several factors must be considered:

• contents of the formula (whether italic or nitalic are present)
  • Tools>Fonts configuration which sets context-specific formatting
  • various advanced settings (which are undocumented, at least in the publicly available guides)
  • and perhaps the fact that the formulas displayed in the Examples menu are images cached at some time during LO evolution history and these images have not been updated to reflect the latest state of the formulas

:smiley: You seem to have missed everything I wrote. These previews are generated on the fly, from the actual Math formulas, using the same Math engine, just with some hardcoded settings.

@mikekaganski I read your comment and forgot about it. Old age? Not the first time; I’ll have to exercise more caution!

Nevertheless, there may be a consistency problem as you point out.

The setting is in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Advanced > Open Expert Configuration.
Search for GreekCharStyle. The value can be 0, 1 or 2. The values have these meanings:
0: Lower and upper Greek letters are set non-italic by default.
1: Lower and upper Greek letters are set italic by default.
2: Lower Greek letters are in italic, upper Greek letters are non-italic by default.

In all cases, the default way can be overruled by the nitalic and italic attributes for an individual letter.

4 Likes

So it is the bug in the default settings of Math. Because both capital and small Greek characters must be non-italicized in accordance with pages 70 and 71 of ‘LibreOffice 7.5 Math Guide’ and a lot of early versions of this guide.

Directly insert π character instead of symbol %pi. Use the π letter from the Greek block in Unicode and put it between quotes to avoid slanting.

c = "π" cdot d …

If you can’t directly type π or don’t want to look for it in Insert>Special Characters, its encoding is U+03C0. Write U+03C0 immediately followed by Alt+X.

Thank you for your response. Indeed, there are various ways to obtain non-italicized text. Another option is to use formatting ‘nitalic’ (that I mentioned in the initial post). However, in the example, it is simply %pi. Therefore, this question is about Math settings to ensure that the result matches the example exactly. After all, the developers created examples using the written code.

Sorry. On my first attempt nitalic %pi seemed to result in a slanted pi. I was wrong. nitalic is probably simpler and %pi is nicer looking than the π I get from the current font.

In my 7.6.3.1, the example is C = %pi cdot d = 2 cdot %pi cdot rc = nitalic %pi cdot d and the first two pis display as italic.

You didn’t mention your LO version, so there might have been a change in the examples or in the symbols management (going italics by default).

Versions 7.3.7.2 and 7.5.8.2 are mentioned in the initial post. In which version does the result match the example?