When saving a document libreoffice is changing the bullet to triangle, why?

When I save a document and reopen it libreoffice changes the dot bullet to a triangle. I’ve tried to save it as several different ways, and changing and saving the bullets again do not work. I have updated libreoffice also. Help!

How do you save your document? as .odt (native format) or .doc(x)?

LO version and OS please

Edit (don’t use an answer) to provide information. Also, you shouldn’t have used “Community wiki”: this is a personal question, not a philosophical topic on LO present and future. This will prevent you from accessing advanced features of this site.

Thank you, I am new to this and frustrated. I’ve been working on this for hours. I have saved it as .doc & .docx

Microsoft formats are proprietary closed formats. Though some characteristics have been published, M$ loves to create and follow exceptions to its own standards. This particularly true when we come to fancy decorations like bullets and paragraph numbering. Developers have done their best to cope with M$ formats but even reverse engineering could not uncover all the twists that were incorporated to gate customers.

You are using LO Writer, save your document in its native format, e.g. .odt. If problem persists, report back here.

As a general rule, in any application, work in native format. When your job is finished, export in a foreign format but be prepared for discrepancies. From personal experience, *.doc. is safer than .docx but you can also forward your document as .odt: M$ Word is supposed to be able to read ODF files. If discrepancies arise, you can then put the blame on M$ side!

In any case, you can also attach a (non-editable) PDF version to serve as a reference for your layout and design.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!