Why can't I access the native mac character viewer from Libreoffice apps?

I do linguistics work and Ctrl+Cmd+space normally pulls up the native character viewer on my Macbook that provides international alphabet characters I commonly use. This doesn’t work in Libreoffice.

Thanks!

May be because Ctrl+Cmd+space has no meaning within LibreOffice. Click into the desktop outside of LibreOffice and press Ctrl+Cmd+space and it will open. In other words: macos passes the shortcut to the application, which doesn’t know what to execute, when getting the sequence ( Ctrl+Cmd+space is a shortcut within Finder, hence Finder needs to be active[have the focus])

May be because Ctrl+Cmd+space has no meaning within LibreOffice.

That’s even more reason to find this odd as there are no conflicting shortcuts. Normally in macOS one doesn’t have to switch focus from app X to Finder to call up the character/emoji viewer nor the keyboard viewer.

It’s not odd but due to the fact that all (as far as I have tested) native macos apple applications are aware of the same shortcut (to be found in menu Edit). Mention of Finder just was due to the fact, that it is the application running, when no other application is running (or has the focus). It could have been any other native macos application being ware of the shortcut. My conclusion: In all cases of macos apps, the operating system passes the shortcut to the application, which in turn knows what to do if it is a native macos app (or fully integrated like e.g Firefox, which is also aware of the shortcut), while LibreOffice doesn’t know what to do.

Mr @anon73440385 you’re absolutely right! Imagine my embarassment! I had never before noticed that LO lacks the Emojis & Symbols item under Edit. I guess I had always taken this for granted. Maybe this is more of a bug report/feature request then? Until if/when LO adds this to the macOS version, @DocOtto has to click in the menubar’s keyboard section.

@gtomorrow - absolutely no reason to be embarrassed. Your comment made me investigate the statement in my first comment a bit deeper (in fact macos is not my specialty). May be it is an enhancement request but I’m not sure whether, and if, how it may conflict with functionality available via Insert -> Special Characters. In addition, this would break (another time) consistency of menu structure across platforms supporting LibreOffice. But of course OP could file an enhancement request and have developers to decide.

…I’m not sure whether, and if, how it may conflict with functionality available via Insert → Special Characters. In addition, this would break…consistency of menu structure across platforms supporting LibreOffice.

Now this I’m not so sure of. I just had a look at GIMP 2.10.14 macOS and it indeed has the Edit > Emojis & Symbols item. You have to concede that LO is just as cross-platform as GIMP and Firefox.

Unfortunately, at this time you can’t. Your only alternative presently is to click in the menubar’s Keyboard section.

I took the liberty of filing a bug report on the matter:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=136947