Why does LibreOffice not accept the entry of "Alt 0 1 5 1" (less the spaces and quotes) for the Em dash?

LibreOffice does not accept the entry of the Alt key, the number 0, the number 1, the number 5, and the number 1 in order to place an EM dash in the line of text.

Likewise, LibreOffice does not accept the entry of the Alt key, the number 0, the number 1, the number 5, and the number 0 in order to place an EM dash in the line of text.

In fact, OpenOffice allows those entries as well as practically every other online webpage I have ever typed in. Even Microsoft Notepad accepts those entries for the Em and En dashes.

This is plum stupid, and if I can’t enter those keys in LibreOffice to get the Em and En dashes, I’m going back to using OpenOffice. I would like to use LibreOffice, because it is supposed to be better, but I will not put up with such idiocy. Don’t even suggest I use Autocorrect. That is even stupider. I am so angry about this I am seeing red.

The m dash can be entered by word–word, that is, a word followed immediately by two spaces then immediately afterwards another word.

tdf#156443, has been fixed for 24.2.1 and later, so available from 12th February 2024 onwards so the current version of LibreOffice will work using the ancient Windows-only codes.

Note that the Unicode was always available, U+2014 immediately followed by Alt+X

1 Like

for context and refs :

As someone who uses dashes, N dashes and M dashes on a regular basis, I have created an Autotext option so that when I enter three consecutive dashes it substitutes them for an M dash. The give a logical set of features.
One dash is a normal dash
Two dashes creates and N dash
Three dashes creates an M dash.
This saves the need to use the ALT + Numerical codes.