Why does LibrOffice starts so slow?

After not finding a solution in previous answers, I hope for a new answer that would solve the problem …
I’m running vs. 6.3.3 in a 64 bit environment under Windows 10 Pro.
No matter whether I start Writer directly of by clicking an .odt document, I have to wait around 65 seconds before I the program is started so far that I can start working.
What can I do to get it much faster started?
(Comparing with OO that is ready starting after ca 10 seconds).

Hello,

your user profile could be the cause of this - thus test your user profile causing issue:

Case 1: LibreOffice can still be started

• Start in Safe Mode using Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and confirm the restart using button: Restart
  • Archive your profile expanding Advanced (click on the word Advanced right above Help button) and click Archive User Profile button
  • Click button Continue in Safe Mode

If that runs much faster - then a corrupt user profile may be the cause and you should reset the user profile using almost the same procedure but instead of Continue in Safe Mode you perform:

• Select option Reset to factory settiings
  • Activate [x] Reset entire user profile
  • Click button Apply Changes and Restart
1 Like

Do you have same antivir running?

1 Like

Thanks a lot Opaque!
That did it.
Never would have thought for a solution in that direction.

1 Like

Just for the records (according to last comment of OP):

Your user profile could be the cause of this - thus test your user profile:

• Start in Safe Mode using Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and confirm the restart using button: Restart
  • Archive your profile expanding Advanced (click on the word Advanced right above Help button) and click Archive User Profile button
  • Click button Continue in Safe Mode

If that runs much faster - then a corrupt user profile may be the cause and you should reset the user profile using the following procedure:

• Select option Reset to factory settings
  • Activate [x] Reset entire user profile
  • Click button Apply Changes and Restart

If the answer is correct or helped you to solve your problem, please click the check mark (:heavy_check_mark:) next to the answer.

1 Like

The user profile is something we never think about. Thanks a lot it solved the latency that i got when starting LO

After installing another operating system (distro) I was also experiencing very sluggish behaviour. But this user profile tip helped me! You can find instructions here: Frequently asked questions - General - The Document Foundation Wiki

In my case LibreOffice startup required about 20 seconds. Solution with safe mode didn’t help.

Correct solution was to clear recent documents list: File -> Recent Documents -> Clear list. I managed to reduce startup delay to 4-5 seconds.
I suppose that LibreOffice checked something about these files on startup and, since many of them are on remote drive in my case, it takes to long.

1 Like

Your statements do not match - “Solution with safe mode didn’t help” is not compatible with your solution, since in Safe Mode there is no recent documents list and if your solution is removing the cause of the delay then Safe mode must have it removed all the more, because Safe Mode starts with a temporary user profile having no Recent Documents list at all.

1 Like

I wonder if Windows explorer recent files is the issue in the above case. If there is a very large recent file, e.g. 1GB movie file then Windows explorer can take a very long time to react to anything, even a call to navigate to a different file.

@anon73440385, I believe you are right, but I also quite sure that there was big delay in Safe mode. I tried to reproduce this behaviour on my two other PCs, but they do not have this huge delay between opening file with LibreOffice and showing the file editing interface.
Nevertheless, I am positive that I solved my delay issue after clearing recent documents list. It may be a lightweight solution for some cases, that why it still worth publishing here IMHO.

This was the correct solution for me. Because I’ve opened files that aren’t on my local machine. And after opening those remote files the service become disconnected. Then slowness appears.

I have same issue on linux mint 20.2
When i reset to defaults everything working fine.

Its caused by some unavailable resources from recent. For example. I have vpn and some resource is on samba share where i connect. When im connected with vpn, Libreoffice starts normally, when vpn is down, slow start, depends how many files in recent.

Doing both of these worked for me. I don’t know which one. First I did the reset user, then cleared recent documents. Upon restart, it was acting as well as it should.

Thank you to everyone who commented and whatnot.

Among other things, some have suggested disabling Java to increase LO speed in general (note that as regards the first suggestion in the link, LO has since buried the ability to increase memory use. See here).

In my case, with Java enabled and many Recent Documents, then on a desktop PC (4.0 Ghz CPU; 32GB RAM , under Windows 10 (on a M.2 NVMe drive, 100 GB free), then LO takes 45 seconds to load, though if I have a low amount of available RAM (yes, even with 32GB installed) and or high CPU from other applications then that will increase.

And this loading time is after having done a reset to Factory settings, which was done since LO writer had a pronounced lag and high CPU use in engaging in operations such as changing paragraph options. The reset fixed that (I thank God for those who enable these fixes) despite my doing some customization and adding extensions.

In general as regards speed, if you are running your system off a mechanical SATA drive then I would suggest cloning it to a SSD drive (or even a M.2 NVMe if able) and using that, since that is a relatively inexpensive means to significantly increase speed in general.

I struggled with this problem for a long time. Eventually, I removed the 64 bit version and then installed the 32 bit version. I am now on version 7.3 32 bit and it starts up VERY quickly, just like it used to.

I find it hard to understand why the 64 bit version should be so slow but the 32 bit version is really quick. Perhaps someone could explain??

Check my solution provided at this link location:

I’m old and not very computer smart. I tried the solutions I read here and didn’t find anything that worked. I switched from 64 bit to 34 bit and it was still slow. Then I decided to open task manager and see what was going on. The Libre Office? had 2 process’s running. One was a “print driver host for application.” I killed that task and L.O. opened quickly. But each time I close and reopen, the “printer driver” reappears. Repeating this task manager kill is still faster than waiting for L.O. to open. But how can I stop the print driver from reappearing?

Later I may have found my answer. Open L.O, Tools, options, load/save, general. I deselected both checked boxes under LOAD.

Some other software seems to conflict with LO on Startup. For example there is a bug report concerning Tha Bat (email):

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=149948

It would be interesting to know who installed your “printer-host”. Maybe it came with your printer. Do you work with network printers?

Been retired 24 years and only have home laptop and printer. I have a Canon printer with wifi, and it isn’t communicating with me anymore. But I was having trouble with Open Office opening very slow before switching to LO. That is why I finally installed LO. I have another brand printer at my summer home, and I have the same problems with OO and LO.

This morning when I opened LO Calc it was slow again. I can close it and reopen it or another LOC file, and it opens quickly. Obviously I’m no IT tech. I just joined this forum to share my experience and hope it might help an expert solve the issue. It’s been going on too long and seems to frustrate a lot of people.