Why does Navigator not show a list of headings when I am using my own style?

Why does Navigator not show a list of headings when I am using my own style? For example, I edited the style ‘Heading 8’ and named it ‘A - Heading 8’, but it is not visible in Navigator.

Please upload you ODF type sample file here.

What do you mean?

Built-in Heading n styles are protected against system-critical changes. You can’t simply rename them in Organizer tab. To be able to modify the name, you must create a new style. Even if this style is based on (inherits from) Heading 8, it is another style. Doing so, Writer adds another foolproof protection: outline level for the new style is reset to [None]. You can check this in the Outline & List tab of the paragraph style definition.

Assign again the ad-hoc outline level to your style and it will appear in the Navigator.

But, if you also want auto-numbering, you must register your style in Tools>Heading Numbering. However, you can have only one style at each level. You can’t have both Heading 8 and A - Heading 8 both at level 8 for auto-numbering with the sequence reserved for heading.

It is possible, but your question does not tell, that you want to have chapters with numeric numbers and others with alphabetical numbers at the same level. This is possible but very tricky. To succeed, you must master paragraph and, mot important, list styles. And this is another story.

PS: when asking here, be nice to contributors. Describe as thoroughly as possible your context: what you want to achieve, what you thought to be the solution, how you implemented it and which procedure/workflow you followed. Mention expected and actual results.

Remember most of us are not English-native.

Also, always mention OS name, LO version and save format.

Continuing the discussion from Why does Navigator not show a list of headings when I am using my own style?:

Thanks, ajlittoz, for your comment. ‘A - Heading 8’ is a new style derived from ‘Heading 8’. Your solution works: after I registered my style in Tools > Heading Numbering, it became visible in Navigator. Thanks.