Why does writer show non-existent words in word completion?

I use the word completion feature of Auto Correct extensively. However, it has two annoying habits.

1. it shows auto completion words that do not exist. The choice presented is not a word and it is not in my word completion list on the Auto Correct dialog. The example image shows the suggestion on typing the word “have”. The entry it offers, “haveAfter” is not on the list of collected words. I have no idea how this option came to exist, nor where the program is saving it.

image description

1. it collects invalid intermediaries when I type a new long word. For example, while typing the word AutoComplete, it collected the following: AutoCompl, AutoComple, AutoComplete. I would expect it to collect only full words, marked by punctuation or white space.

Have you made sure the AutoCompletion list in AutoCorrect that you are looking at is the same language as your document? Click on the Replace tab and then select the same version of English, e.g. English UK, as your document. You can then delete the incorrect words.

As for collecting partial words, that sounds strange, maybe delete those too, or the whole list, it might have picked up typos over time and keeps offering them.

Thanks for your response. Yes, the language is English (USA) on the AutoCorrect Replace tab, and on the Languages dialog in the LO Preferences. I have also edited the list to remove the few made-up compounds that were actually visible on the list. At one time I found many entries of one or more lower case letters followed by “Sincere”. At the time I had recently typed “Sincere” in a document, but never any of the bogus combinations I found on the list. I find I cannot type fast enough to prevent partial words making it into the list of collected words. I’ll consider deleting the entire list, though that is a tedious prospect because the UI only allows selecting one word to delete.

If you tick the box “When closing a document, remove the words collected from it from the list” won’t that remove the words? I ask this as my AutoCompletion list is always empty until I start typing in a document but I don’t have that box ticked so I can’t experiment.