Why Multiple Operations only supports simple arithmetic operations but not some complex built-in functions in LibreOffice Calc

Hello there!
I’m an amateur LibreOffice suite user. From my prior experience with Microsoft Excel Data Table, I got interested in trying out LibreOffice Calc’s Multiple Operations, but unfortunately, I discovered that this functionality only works for simple arithmetic operations, and is not compatible with other built-in functions of the spreadsheet. Let me describe my situation on an example:

On the top is the formula for calculating a cumulative result, and the desired data table with G4 cell inputs in columns and C4 cell inputs in rows. This formula for Multiple Operations works OK for these simple formulas, but when i use more complex formula like the built-in SUMPRODUCT, it fails miserably as can be seen down below:

Here, instead of tedious arithmetics, I simply used a shortcut formula, but now it returns an error.

Please file a bug report to bug tracker with a sample file that works in Excel, but fails in Calc. Thanks!

But in fact, I don’t see how would you implement such a two-dimensional “what-if” with a range argument (you didn’t post your formula in, say, D10 to see). SUMPRODUCT takes ranges as arguments, and multiple operations work by substituting one (or two) of the arguments with different values…

1 Like

I’m having the same error. Did you ever figure this out? Thanks.

I seem to have a similar problem. One formula, one variable. The formula is a DSUM function call. The variable is a string en the criteria table by which I’m selecting rows. The DSUM formula works as an ordinary dsum call when I use a literal entry in the criteria table. And when I use a simple formula (taking the left 4 characters of the variable cell), that works in “variable operations.” But when “variable operations” populates the entry in the criteria table, I get a 504 error for database formulas, but not for a simple text function.

Sending it to bug tracker.

I am getting the same error. Did you ever figure this out? Can you link to the bug tracker bug that you filed? Thanks.

This happened two years ago so it’s hard to remember. I am pretty sure it wasn’t “fixed.” I hope this reply works;
apparently my account has expired.

Upon review, it seems

a) my report was tagged as a dup,
b) The earlier report was regarded as an enhancement request.

My ticket: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=130722

I think this one is the earlier report.
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105683#c2

What I did was to buy an MS Office subscription.

Thanks for responding. It seems like I am hitting the same bug as you did. Too bad it was never fixed.

@iamj5 Note that your Calc: Getting list of output values for a set of input values is completely unrelated.