Writer Custom Templates Folder Not Showing

I have a custom templates folder that I copy to all of my computers in my network. However, Even though I flag that folder as the default in <Tools><Options><Libre Office><Paths> It fails to show when I then select <File><Templates><Manage Templates> Apart from physically copying the templates to .config/libreoffice/4/user/template how can I convince LibreOffice that my path /Desktop/MusicWork/Templates is a valid path for templates?

Formatting fixed by ajlittoz to avoid conflict with HTML

Stupid question; are your templates .ott files? LO version?

Stupid answer! Sadly, YES!!

If I navigate to the appropriate folder and select the template it opens a new document using the appropriate styles. So, the templates are actual templates!

IMO you have to register the single file(s) by using Menu Files | Templates or you save a file directly as a template.
At the moment I don’t know the entire system for templates in LO’s system. For group names I found templategroupuinames.xml in the user’s profile. Probably you need some information in registrymodifications.xcu as well (I found there some information about an newly created Writer template).

A mere copy of (template) files into the template directory seems not to be enough.

I confirm this.

Among other issues you might meet, template name as shown in File>Templates>Manage Templates is not necessarily the same as the filename without extension.

When you File>Templates>Save as Template, Writer takes care of not overwriting any file in the template folder (because the template may be used by documents and overwriting it would lead to catastrophic document “updates”). This is where the numeric suffix appears, but the template name (for reference inside Writer) is the one entered when you choose the template category.

Only File>Templates>Save as Template “registers” the template with LO, entering its name in some association list name → filename. This is probably located in registrymodifications.xcu mentioned by @Grantler.

Sadly, saving the file as a Template does not register it. I tried opening the template file and saving it as a new template in my folder of choice and it still did not show. Gonna have another play in the morning, Good night all!

< File> < Templates> < Save as Template> works however, I would like to have LO point at my actual templates folder as I, otherwise, need to remember to modify that template on each machine rather than just c&p which is far easier when I am away from those other computers.

Edit why that works when < File> < Save As> Template does not is beyond me.