Writer Insert>Field>More Fields>Figure links the wrong Figure in the text

I’m running Linux Mint 21, with LibreOffice 7.3.7.2. This has only just started happening. I have a whole series of Captioned graphs in a document labelled as Figure 1: Text, Figure 2: Text , etc. Using Figure 7: text as an example Menu>Insert>Field>More Fields>Figure opens up my list of Figures. I click on Figure 7: text and click “Insert” and “Close” and what gets inserted into the main body of the text alongside Figure is “3”. If I choose Figure 3 from the list the number 1 is inserted into the text. If I choose Figure 29 from the list - the number 10 gets put into the text. There seems to be no logic to the cross-references being generated. As I said this used to work OK with this document - so what has caused this to go wrong?

Please edit your question (click below it then “pencil” icon) to mention OS name, LO version and save format).

Improve your description. Are you trying to insert a new caption (directly without using the wizard) or to insert a cross-reference to an existing figure?

In the latter case, take care to open Cross-references tab (which you get to directly from Insert>Cross-reference). A cross-reference can display many properties of the referenced location. See *Refer using list. By default, this is the page number. To insert the figure number, you must select *explicitly Number.

Thank you for the suggestion - I’ve edited my post to show OS and LibreOffice versions being used. I’m trying to insert a cross-reference in the text to a captioned image. This has always worked with Menu>Insert>Field>more Fields - which brings up the “Fields” box - which in the “Cross-references” Tab under “Selection” are my list of captioned images with the “Type” on the left hand side being “Figure” and “Refer using:” set to page number (unstyled). And yes - the “refer using” option has been changed - if I use either the “Caption text” or “Numbering” I get the correct cross-reference link. Thank you very much - rather than just say “solved it” I’ve included all the above in case other people run into this problem