Writer Mail Merge e-mail Test Settings freezes

I need advice on mail merge.

I set up MailMerge e-mail sending information Writer, using an app password for PurelyMail. I click ‘Test Settings’. Writer freezes. On one occasion, after waiting quite some time, I tried to close the dialogue box and received an error (more often, Writer just crashes). The message was:

LibreOffice could not connect to the outgoing mail server. Check your system's settings and the settings in LibreOffice. Check the server name, the port and the secure connections settings
--
<class 'ConnectionAbortedError'>: [WinError 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine, traceback follows
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\mailmerge.py", line 304, in connect
    self.server = imaplib.IMAP4(server, port)
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 201, in __init__
    self._connect()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 243, in _connect
    self.welcome = self._get_response()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 1050, in _get_response
    resp = self._get_line()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 1158, in _get_line
    line = self.readline()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 314, in readline
    line = self.file.readline(_MAXLINE + 1)
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\socket.py", line 669, in readinto
    return self._sock.recv_into(b)

Previous efforts to test settings (when not all settings were correct) gave a somewhat similar error (but no freeze), and the X, failed connection response.

Starting LO in safe mode (and reentering all the connection info) didn’t freeze, but did give the following error.

LibreOffice could not connect to the outgoing mail server. Check your system's settings and the settings in LibreOffice. Check the server name, the port and the secure connections settings
--
<class 'imaplib.IMAP4.abort'>: socket error: unterminated line: b'\x15\x03\x03\x00\x02\x01Z\x15\x03\x03\x00\x02\x01\x00', traceback follows
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\mailmerge.py", line 304, in connect
    self.server = imaplib.IMAP4(server, port)
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 201, in __init__
    self._connect()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 243, in _connect
    self.welcome = self._get_response()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 1050, in _get_response
    resp = self._get_line()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.18\lib\imaplib.py", line 1164, in _get_line
    raise self.abort('socket error: unterminated line: %r' % line)

Any advice?

down the rabbit hole :wink:

Thanks. Looks interesting, but in the end, I gave up and sent 100 e-mails by hand. I don’t see using mail merge a lot (especially now), and if it requires all this, it’s just not worth the time to figure out why it doesn’t work as intended.