Writer Repeated Conditional Text Not Working

I am doing a merge from a XLSX file. Everything seems to work except for trying to conditionally print an “X” in one of three locations. The location for “X” is determined by the value in a field loaded from the XLSX file.

I insert three conditional text fields, that are set as so:

CONDITION: registration.[My-Table].SkillLevel == “Beginner”
THEN: X
ELSE:

CONDITION: registration.[My-Table].SkillLevel == “Intermediate”
ELSE:

CONDITION: registration.[My-Table].SkillLevel == “Advanced”
ELSE:

Each record’s SkillLevel field has a value of either Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced. However; when I do the merge, each of the conditions prints “X” when I only expect a single “X”.

Any obvious (or no so obvious) ideas about what may be going on?

It appears to me it is just checking for the SkillLevel field being non-empty instead of comparing the contents of the (expected) string.

Have you written your table name exactly like in the question, i.e. woth square brackets and dash? I seem to remember that Writer is very touchy in its syntax to access database fields.

Yes. Exactly as in the question. If I leave the brackets off, it then appears to regard the condition as always FALSE (no “X” is printed).

The text is block quoted but “Beginner” and the others have curly quotes instead of the expected straight quotes. Is this from the site (block quote added after pasting) or in original?

The text I have in the conditional copy/pasted below:

“Beginner”
“Intermediate”
“Advanced”

Originally I did type the conditional on the site instead of pasting.

It appears that the site is making them curly instead of straight. I am using straight double quotes in the conditional input field.

Yes, I was told it is a feature - the following thread has also hints on prevention: