Writer will not print duplex (2-sided) pages despite proper printer setting and LO print setting

LO Writer 6.4.7.2 that was installed with Linux Mint 20.2 prints on HP 7740 all-in-one color inkjet. The printer is set to print duplex. Other apps such as GEANY or MASTER PDF EDITOR print 2-sided as expected. The printer device URI is: hp:/usb/OfficeJet_Pro_7740_series?serial=CN9493510D.

In the Print dialog box for Properties, the Device tab setting for Duplex is of course set to Long Edge (Standard). Yet, Writer prints everything 1-sided only. I look forward to any ideas for a solution…preferably not requiring a newer LibreOffice.

If you are trying to print more than one copy of duplex and it is that that is failing, try clicking on More Options button at bottom of print screen and ticking the box Create separate print jobs for collated output

Otherwise this question might help duplex print not working on hp6520 using libreoffice writer on linux mint 17.1

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, based on my Google results and your referrals, it appears that for now, the best solution is that for any files that need to be printed two-sided, first save as a PDF and reopen the PDF in an app that can duplex-print a PDF file. I found that LO DRAW cannot print duplex either. Since my original question, I discovered duplex printing is not available whether the file is 2 pages (one sheet of paper) or many pages. Also in addition to GEANY and MASTER PDF EDITOR being able to print in duplex under Linux Mint 20.2, Mozilla FIREFOX also prints duplex as expected. And when selecting “Print Test Page” from this dialog box, the HP also prints double-sided. This seems to be uniquely a Libre limitation. So IMO, some LO code needs to be revised. Perhaps in the next release.image.png

Google’s algorithms aren’t perfect. Until my Linux Mint 19.2 computer died, it was printing double-sided on HP 8620, and after the print head wore out, on HP 9010.
One difference is that both printers were connected to the WiFi network, not by USB. I think it might be an issue in your printer setup, either in OS or LO settings.

I have moved away from Linux Mint to Kubuntu 21.10 and found that on this distro, DBeaver and VueScan (along with Firefox, Thunderbird, Master PDF Editor, and Geany) all print DUPLEX perfectly on both the USB connection and via WiFi. But when I need to print a Writer or Calc document in duplex (several times a week) on my 3-year-old HP 77400, I must first print the even-numbered pages, remove the pages, turn them over, reload, and then print the odd-numbered pages. But in the case of an infrequent jam…what a mess. It’s best just to restart the 100-plus page print job from the top. I’m puzzled why duplex printing seems so easy for other Linux apps but SO-O-O hard for LibreOffice.

Has the printer been installed with its required components in the operating system?
Does the printer have an up-to-date printer driver?
Sorry if you have already done everything.

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, this PC is using HPLIP 3.21.6 for *ubuntu so driver age shouldn’t be an issue, unless LibreOffice only supports HPLIP from a few years earlier. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll research that.

Try to change in the Print dialogue File → Print → Properties → Device → Printer language type to any of the “Postscript” values (if you had Automatic or PDF values selected so far).