Writer won't print in Mac Catalina

I just upgraded to Catalina 10.15.7 – plus Libreoffice 7.3.0.3. It installed fine, opens, I can write in it. All good. But I can’t print. Print preview page is blank and the paper that comes out of the printer is also blank.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you have something inadvertently selected when you hit print, only the selection will be printed; if the selection is a blank space nothing will be printed. Deselect by clicking once elsewhere in the text.

Can you print from other applications?

HP help for HP8600 printer implies a printer driver update might be necessary and has some steps if problems encountered, Solved: Printer will not work with Mac OS Catalina V 10.15.7. Driver... - HP Support Community - 7826054

Thanks for the reply. I’m using a Brother laser printer. I can print a PDF, or a Pages file. Or Notes – literally anything but LiberOffice.
When I click on the “print” icon in the toolbar I get the actual print page with the preview. The preview is blank. I hope it’s not a proprietary Apple thing. You know how they are…

Then a work-around is possible, while solving the problem with your printing: You can export to pdf, then print the pdf-File.

Both OS and LO have been upgraded. I wonder if it might be solved by removing Full Disk Access ( System Preferences > Security & Privacy ) from LibreOffice and then giving Full Disk Access to the new LibreOffice version?

That was an interesting idea and I just tried it but sadly no change. I have a hunch it’s something pretty simple I just don’t know what. By the way, here’s a screen shot showing what I see when I try to print.

I’m not using HP – I have a Brother. It will print from all other applications EXCEPT LibreOffice. I’m pretty sure the problem is not with the printer or the OS but with LibreOffice itself.

I know that. I could also go to Kinko’s and use their printer but I think this can be fixed.

Have a look at bug:

3 Likes

Same issue with Big Sur 11.6.2 and same version of LibreOffice. Do you see content displayed when you use the Print Preview command? I see the content exactly as I’d expect to see it, both with respect to a text document and a spreadsheet. However, the preview pane in the Print dialog box is completely blank, and nothing is printed. Same non-result with both my HP Laserjet and my Canon inkjet. All other applications are able to print.

1 Like

Bonjour,

je rencontre le même soucis et ce quelques soit l’élément de la suite Libreoffice.

Si vous avez une solution je suis preneur.

Cordialement Mav184

I’m having the same problem. But the response from @EarnestAl indicates a fix is in the works. My temporary work-around is to save as PDF and the print from Acrobat.

You may be able to disable Skia in LibreOffice > Preferences > LibreOffice > View and under Graphics Output untick Use Skia for all rendering or similar.

2 Likes

That solved it for me. Thank you @EarnestAl .

1 Like

Désolé pour le retard dans ma réponse, mais je vous remercie pour avoir solutionné mon problème :pray:t2:

1 Like

This appears to a long term glitch and is not getting fixed much like inability to sync with cloud drives such as google under 2FA. My suggestion is OnlyOffice or SoftMaker which offers FreeOffice or a paid version.

The above isn’t an answer.

If you had read the bug report you would have seen that it it’s a very recent bug and will be addressed by disabling Skia in 7.3.1 to be released soon.
Comment 33 says Skia will no longer be active on macOS by default in 7.3.1, which will be released in a few weeks: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/7.3#7.3.1_release

1 Like