Libreoffice calc (in Linux) has stopped to support correct XLSX files.

asked 2019-09-11 10:09:20 +0200

zimon gravatar image

updated 2019-09-11 10:18:51 +0200

I noticed this yesteday suddenly in Eclipse+DBeaver where Office-plugin has been installed. It used to work to export database result to Excel xlsx-file through context menu: "Open with > Excel". It would open the result table in LibreOffice Calc (Linux Fedora30, libreoffice-calc-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64)

LibreOffice 6.2

The file 20190911-101445.xlsx' is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened. LibreOffice can try to repair the file.

The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or of structural document damate due to data transmission.

We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired document. Exicution of macros is disabled for this document.

Should LibeOffice repair the file?

[YES] [NO]

If I choose Yes:

LibreOffice 6.2

The file '20190911-101445.xlsx could not be repaired and therefore cannot be opened.

[OK]

And then LibreOffice Calc just quits. If I choose not to repair, Calc opens "Text Import" dialog, where the content is jibberish, like binary code in UTF8 chars.

ALSO Now LibreOffice Calc cannot open any old .XLSX Excel-files from filesystem which used to work before. So it seem not to be Eclipse+DBeaver+Office_plugin problem.

WELL, I was going to delete this post as I got this solved, but decided to leave this anyway, and tell why it was broken and how I got it fixed.

Yesterday I installed libreoffice meta-package to Fedora: "dnf install libreoffice". I had working Libreoffice tools already then, but when I re-installed Office-plugin to Eclipse+DBeaver, I thought I would need those as the metapackage "libreoffice" was found in Fedora repositories. That brake the MS-Office support.

I tried to do: dnf history undo XXX, which was the transaction which installed that libreoffice meta-package and packages which are included in it:

Removed:
  firebird-3.0.4.33054-3.fc30.x86_64 
  firebird-utils-3.0.4.33054-3.fc30.x86_64
  flute-1.3.0-20.OOo31.fc30.noarch   
  libbase-1.1.3-20.fc30.noarch
  libfonts-1.1.3-23.fc30.noarch
  libformula-1.1.3-20.fc30.noarch
  libib-util-3.0.4.33054-3.fc30.x86_64
  liblayout-0.2.10-18.fc30.noarch
  libloader-1.1.3-19.fc30.noarch
  **libreoffice-1:6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64**
  **libreoffice-base-1:6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64**
  librepository-1.1.3-19.fc30.noarch 
  libserializer-1.1.2-20.fc30.noarch 
  ongres-scram-1.0.0~beta.2-7.fc30.noarch
  ongres-scram-client-1.0.0~beta.2-7.fc30.noarch
  pentaho-libxml-1.1.3-19.fc30.noarch
  pentaho-reporting-flow-engine-1:0.9.4-17.fc30.noarch
  postgresql-jdbc-42.2.6-1.fc30.noarch

After this LibreOffice Calc supported XLSX files again without problems, also from Eclipse+DBeaver.

Now still these libreoffice packages are installed and were also before the libreoffice-metapackage was installed (which is now undone):

# rpm -qa|grep libreoffice
libreoffice-help-en-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-pdfimport-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-ure-common-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.noarch
libreoffice-draw-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-filters-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-writer-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-math-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-emailmerge-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-data-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.noarch
libreoffice-x11-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreofficekit-6.2.7.1-1.fc30.x86_64
libreoffice-xsltfilter-6.2 ...
(more)
edit retag flag offensive close merge delete