Ask Your Question

Why do carriage returns within a comment (on this site) not display as expected? [closed]

asked 2014-09-05 10:03:13 +0200

Alias duel zone gravatar image

updated 2016-03-03 16:31:18 +0200

Alex Kemp gravatar image

Every time I place a return within a comment (for example to separate elements of a very small list) they are displayed correctly within the editing window. But once my comment is saved I discover that something ate all these returns.

What is the trick to put a needed return where I want within a comment?

edit retag flag offensive reopen merge delete

Closed for the following reason the question is answered, right answer was accepted by Alex Kemp
close date 2016-03-03 16:31:42.762243


→ oweng: thank you for improving the subject.

Alias duel zone gravatar imageAlias duel zone ( 2014-09-06 17:33:15 +0200 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2014-09-05 17:32:02 +0200

oweng gravatar image

I originally commented (from my phone), thinking the question was in relation to LO, rather than this site. Comment formatting is essentially the same as that for questions and answers. Consecutive lines of content of the same type (text, quotation, block code) are run together. Use a blank line as a form of delimiter e.g., rather than:

Text line 1.
Text line 2.
Text line 3.

... use:

Text line 1.

Text line 2.

Text line 3.

This can be achieved in a comment using SHIFT+ENTER.

edit flag offensive delete link more


Not too hard to use.

Thank you :).

Alias duel zone gravatar imageAlias duel zone ( 2014-09-05 17:55:18 +0200 )edit

[⇧]+[return] doesn't work.[included here] It "seems" to have the same function as a [return]. Are you talking of the [enter] which exists on some keyboards and is different from [return]?

Alias duel zone gravatar imageAlias duel zone ( 2014-09-06 17:36:28 +0200 )edit

I'm accessing the site (mostly) using Debian 7 + Iceweasel v17 on an iMac mini with extended aluminium keyboard using US International layout. The key is labelled "return" but it is the ENTER key and I modify it using SHIFT to (presumably) produce linefeeds rather than carriage returns. You can use this thread to test answer / comment formatting for your particular setup.

oweng gravatar imageoweng ( 2014-09-07 02:44:38 +0200 )edit

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2014-09-05 10:03:13 +0200

Seen: 108 times

Last updated: Sep 05 '14