Ask Your Question


asked 2015-10-08 10:59:46 +0100

shadowsknight gravatar image

updated 2015-10-09 20:32:36 +0100

Alex Kemp gravatar image

How to replace all SPACES with Carriage-Returns?

Getting frustrated...

[Edit - Speling]

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

3 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2015-10-09 18:37:46 +0100

Alex Kemp gravatar image

Hi shadowsknight

The following can be done with the default search+replace (Ctrl+H). However, beware that you can only enter a new paragraph this way (the equivalent of the keyboard Enter) and not a newline (the equivalent of the keyboard Shift+Enter):-

  1. (menu):EditFind & Replace... (Ctrl+H)
  2. Enter a space in the Search For box
  3. Enter \n in the Replace With box
  4. (make sure that Regular expressions checkbox (under ▼ Other Options) is ticked)
  5. Replace away!

If this helps then please tick the answer (✔)
...and/or show you like it with an uptick ()

edit flag offensive delete link more

answered 2017-09-30 14:01:24 +0100

Grantler gravatar image

updated 2017-09-30 14:03:32 +0100

Try out AltSearch.oxt - it is able to replace space with paragraph (Return) or newline (Shift+Return) .

edit flag offensive delete link more

answered 2017-09-30 06:01:51 +0100

ConscienciaSC gravatar image

Kemp´s answer is for a different but related question. You will need these additional steps:

To replace with carriage returns (ie U+000a) you have to create a carriage return in your text (Shift+Return) select and copy that character (e.g. position yourself on the line that contains it then type End, Shift+Left-Arrow, Ctrl+C) then copy this character into the Replace With field.

Note: it won´t appear on the field, but LO will use it, as it is a non-printing character.

edit flag offensive delete link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2015-10-08 10:59:46 +0100

Seen: 3,148 times

Last updated: Sep 30 '17