Ask Your Question

Corrupted ods file

asked 2016-05-25 09:25:40 +0100

Pineapple Pie gravatar image


I am using: LibreOffice Version: Build ID: 490fc03b25318460cfc54456516ea2519c11d1aa Locale: en-US (en.UTF-8)

I have worked an ods file since it was created on 14 April 2016. When I opened it yesterday, it opened and the spreadsheet had been replaced with a portrait document, like Word Document and not a spreadsheet that it was, and all the text has also been replaced with # (Hashtags). I restarted my computer and this problem was not fixed.

I really enjoyed using LibreOffice, though this has made me loose my work and I am looking at changing document program. I am writing this question here to hopefully help prevent this happening to someone in future as it may be a bug that can be fixed and also to see if it has happened to other people. If this file could be fixed then that would be a bonus. Other ods files are opening fine.

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

2 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-05-26 00:32:52 +0100

m.a.riosv gravatar image

Usually this kind of issues happens when files are not properly saved, an issue typical using usb sticks for save the files, not being closed before get it out.

edit flag offensive delete link more

answered 2016-05-25 19:57:34 +0100

Jarno gravatar image

updated 2016-05-25 20:06:20 +0100

I'm troubling with a similar problem since about one week.

In my case, the .ods cannot be opened at all. Calc opens with the dialog for conversion of format. Obviously it's not a matter of format to be converted. When it fails, even MS Office is unable to open it.

Fortunately, I had a backup copy of my files. Then I recovered the .ods from my backup copy, and I was able to work loading/saving for a few. But later it failed again.

I recovered from my backup again, and moved the .ods file to a different disk unit. It worked for a while, and then failed again.

My working folder is encrypted, on both the units I've tried, but it's years that they're encrypted and never had similar problems in the past.

Now I see that a Java update is available... I'll try to update it. I'm very worried for my lots of documents, and loosing a lot of time by querying from my backups, and I fear to save my changes.

LibreOffice Version: Build ID: 490fc03b25318460cfc54456516ea2519c11d1aa Versione locale: it-IT (it_IT)

edit flag offensive delete link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2016-05-25 09:25:40 +0100

Seen: 577 times

Last updated: May 26 '16