2 images into 1?

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
LO Version: 6.4.6.2
Build ID: 1:6.4.6-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: threaded

Is it possible to paste two separate .png images into a LO writer document, and then combine them into a single image, so that I can save/export/paste it etc. into other documents, or applications?

It’s actually a single image that I want to reduce in size by taking some plain background out of the middle. I pasted in two copies of the same image and cropped them both, so the edges match up perfectly. I now want to rejoin them so that I have the original image with the middle reduced.

Edit your question to provide more information about your images. Are they originally two separate files (.jpg, .png, …)? Are they a drawing? If so, was the drawing directly created in Writer or made in Draw?

Add anything which could help understand the technical context and your goal. Don’t forget your OS name and LO version.

Please do not use Add Answer but edit your original question to enhance the details of your question (answers are reserved for solutions to a problem on this Q&A site).

IMHO, considering you want to scale, crop, move and glue together two raster images (not drawings nor vector pictures), have a try with GIMP. It is easily downloadable under Ubuntu.

See also @Lupp’s answer.

That’s great, thanks for both of your answers.

To make “an image” from more than one image as sources, you need image editing software. LibreOffice hasn’t the capability.

In Draw you can, however select more than one graphical objects to copy/paste them together e.g, or to group them. A group you may convert to a bitmap which you then can save to a file …

Writer doesn’t support this directly because images there are inserted into frame objects (as opposed to shape objects in Draw), but you can import images in Draw, do everything you need there, and copy/paste the result shape-hosted to a text document.