7.1.8 very slow

I saw the message about the security issues and I upgraded from 6.3.5.2 to 7.1.8. Calc is VERY VERY slow, so slow as to be unusable. Even clicking on another cell entailed a wait of one or two seconds until the second cell became active. I uninstalled 7.1.89 and re-installed 6.3.5.2 and Calc was fast once again.

I just saw the note about setting the various limits in the Graphics Manager. These were my 6.3.5.2 values:

TotalCacheSize ----> 30000000
ObjectCacheSize —> 12000000
ObjectReleaseTime ----> 600
GraphicMemoryLimit ----> 30000000
GraphicsAllowedIdleTime → 10

I haven’t tried upping the values in the post on the forum, because I would have to re-install 7.1.8 to try them out. I may give it a try, but I am not hopeful. We had a similar problem with 7.0.5 which is why we stayed with version 6.x

This is my system:

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎2020-‎11-‎26
OS build 19043.1348
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2127U @ 1.90GHz 1.90 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

The settings you refer to have no affect on performance unless set very low. Those settings are updated in new versions to ensure LO runs properly. By altering them you have fixed then rigidly so they can’t be updated to current settings when you install a new version. Resetting your user profile should restore them to proper settings.

Some versions ago, LO changed from using OpenGL to Skia for graphics.

The most likely fix would have been to open Tools - Options - LibreOffice - View and unticking Use Skia for all rendering

You could also have checked whether the problems went away in safe mode, click Help - Restart in safe mode - Continue in safe mode. If they did it might have been relayed to your user profile, LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki

OK. I followed the instructions about renaming the user profile to user_old, which I did. I opened my spreadsheet with 6.3.5.2 and I saw the new user directory created. I closed 6.3.5.2 and then I installed 7.1.8. It is still very slow. I turned off Skia and anti-aliasing. Still very slow. How slow you ask? Clicking on a cell takes 3-4 seconds for the cell to become active. I restarted in safe mode, but that enables the Skia and anti-aliasing. Turning off the Skia requires a restart which then opens in normal mode.
I did this several times: once with Restore from backup with no boxes and then with each box checked. Also Factory settings and with the Configure/Disable graphics option. Nothing helped. Clicking on a new cell takes 3-4 seconds for that cell to become active.

Here’s the spreadsheet I’m using. The keyboard shortcuts to our macros are here. If you enter a value in a weather column on the log page, Alt-] runs CopyRestOfColumn which, on 6.3.5.2 is very fast. On 7.1.8 it crawls.

Rather than go back to 6.3.5.2, I have other jobs that don’t involve Calc, so I will keep 7.1.8 as the installed version for now.

According to your information, you missed the last release date for Windows 10. See:
Windows 10 release information
Since all possibilities should be considered for your described problem, I would ask you to perform all available updates to Windows 10 for you. Thank you very much.

Other possible sources of time problem:

1. if you have specified a printer in your document that is switched off, delays may also occur. However, I do not know if this is LO version dependent.
  2. do you have your file outside the PC, e.g. over a network?
  3. I suggest to switch off the macro functions as a test.
  4. are data in your file frequently re-entered or recalculated?
  5. try to install the higher LibreOffice version 7.2.4.1.
  6. In which file format did you save your file (ODS)?

If the above options do not solve the problem, you should post an error message on Bugzilla.
How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice

Thank you very much.

I wonder if your CPU or graphics ( Intel HD Graphics?) is OK with OpenGL but not Skia.

BTW your link opens in Google Sheets, better to use Upload button

here

I get automatic updates to Windows 10, and they happen when they happen. We had another user try 7.1.8 on Windows 10, and he had the same issues.

I’ve just updated to the very latest version of Windows 10. Things are still very slow.

Other possible sources of time problem:

if you have specified a printer in your document that is switched off, delays may also occur. However, I do not know if this is LO version dependent.
No printer is specified. We print nothing.
do you have your file outside the PC, e.g. over a network? No.
I suggest to switch off the macro functions as a test.
I was testing both with no macros and with macros. No difference.
are data in your file frequently re-entered or recalculated?
No. Entered once, saved as XML, deleted, and then new data are entered. Essentially there are no calculations. Macros do all the work and they are called by the user as needed with keyboard shortcuts.
In which file format did you save your file (ODS)? ODS

And, for Earnest Al, my graphics card does not work with OpenGL. I have no idea about how it copes with Skia. However, my Intel HD Graphics Control Panel says this display does not support any of the advanced settings. And, I couldn’t upload the ODS file because it was too large.

I will submit a bug report.

1 Like

This is just an observation. On a computer that doesn’t support OpenGL (UHD Graphics 620), if I open your spreadsheet in LO 6.4.7.2 the text in sheet Setup is all black. On same computer, in 7.1.5.2 and 7.2.3.2 some of the text is red. The very odd bit is that in 6.4.7.2 in the Launcher preview I can clearly see some red and some blue text on that page.

That’s interesting, @EarnestAl . My graphics card doesn’t support OpenGl either, but I have had the correct font colours on the Setup Page since we started this project when LibreOffice was back at Version 3.x. I never went past 6.3.5.2, though.