Accessing com port using python script within lo calc

greetings.

long time reader but first time poster. apologies for the longish post.

i’m trying to read data from a com port (com 7) from inside libre office (lo) calc using a python script. the data is captured on port com 7 on a windows 10 desktop from a digital caliper attached via an esp32 microcontroller (which is attached to the windows 10 desktop). i program the esp32 using the arduino ide and i can see the data on com port 7 via the arduino ide data window. if i close the arduino ide’s comm port window and open pycharm i can run a python script within pycharm accessing com port 7 and i can see the data. when i stop the python script from executing in pycharm and try to run a python script modified to work in lo calc as a macro i get a permissions error code (see bottom).

if i close all lo calc instances/workbooks that are open and go back to the arduino ide i can open the comm port window and see data again. close that window and go back into pycharm and run the python script and i can see data again.

as a side note, if any instance of lo remains open, neither the arduino ide nor pycharm are able to read data from the comm port (comm port busy error). i surmise that there is some bit of code that lo runs that spans all open instances (workbooks, documents, etc) that holds a connection open so long as any lo instance is open. close all lo instances and the port is released and other programs can use the comm port again.

i believe i worked out the bits in the python script that needed to be changed in order to port from pycharm and run as a macro under lo calc. i say that because when i navigate in lo calc to Tools-> Macros → Organize Macros → Python i can select the python macro i want to run and it allows execution with the execute button. but then i get a permission error. i have python installed local to the lo installation along with pip and pyserial local to it as well.

i must have omitted a step in the port to lo calc and was hoping someone could point it out. there may be other issues you see that i will run into after getting through the comm port access error. if so i would appreciate those insights as well. my skill level with python and knowledge of scripting within lo is fairly low.

here is the macro to read data from com 7 (10 times as a test). i’m not sure if the macro’s text will show as misaligned due to autowrap but here goes.

import serial
# removed unused irrelevant codelines by @karolus
doc = XSCRIPTCONTEXT.getDocument()
sheet = doc.getCurrentController().getActiveSheet()

def concat_cell(args=None):
	serialPort = serial.Serial(port="COM7", baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, timeout=2, stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE)
serialString = "" 
for each_number in range(10):
    serialPort = serial.Serial(port="COM7", baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, timeout=2, stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE)
    if serialPort.in_waiting > 0:
        serialString = serialPort.readline()
        try:
            cell = sheet.getCellByPosition(0, each_number)
            cell.setString(serialString)
        except:
            pass	
g_exportedScripts = (concat_cell,)

here is the error i see when running:

A Scripting Framework error occurred while running the Python script vnd.sun.star.script:read-com-port-7.py$concat_cell?language=Python&location=user.

Message: <class 'serial.serialutil.SerialException'>: could not open port 'COM7': PermissionError(13, 'Access is denied.', None, 5)
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\pythonscript.py", line 1057, in getScript
    mod = self.provCtx.getModuleByUrl( fileUri )
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\pythonscript.py", line 494, in getModuleByUrl
    exec(code, entry.module.__dict__)
  File "C:\Users\user1\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user\Scripts\python\read-com-port-7.py", line 12, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.15\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 33, in __init__
    super(Serial, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.15\lib\site-packages\serial\serialutil.py", line 244, in __init__
    self.open()
  File "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\python-core-3.8.15\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py", line 64, in open
    raise SerialException("could not open port {!r}: {!r}".format(self.portstr, ctypes.WinError()))

The error_message seems clear enough!

Hallo
no warranty!!! because cant test here

import serial

def concat_cell(args=None):
    doc = XSCRIPTCONTEXT.getDocument()
    sheet = doc.getCurrentController().getActiveSheet()

with serial.Serial(port="COM7",
                       baudrate=115200,
                       bytesize=8,
                       timeout=2,
                       stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE) as port:
        for row_index in range(10):
            if port.in_waiting > 0:
                cell = sheet.getCellByPosition(0, row_index)
                cell.setString( port.readline())

g_exportedScripts = (concat_cell,)

karolus,
i appreciate the help and code! it got me further than i was but the result i see in the spreadsheet appears to be data related to the esp32 itself (see below). the esp32 sits on a small pcb with a momentary button. when pressed the esp32 transforms the most recently buffered caliper data and sends to the windows 10 pc. the data below is what i saw in lo calc after 1 button push.

next i closed all lo components and went back into the arduino ide and started the comm channel window. when i pressed the button on the esp32 board as before, the anticipated data appeared in the comm channel window as expected (also below).

so thanks to your suggestion i’m closer than i was. i need to ponder on the results for a bit to see if i can understand how the pieces come together (at least now i have something to look at).

here is the output that appears in the lo calc cells A1-A10 after 1 press of the caliper data capture button:

A1 ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57
A2
A3 rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
A4 configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
A5 clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
A6 mode:DIO, clock div:1
A7 load:0x3fff0030,len:1344
A8 load:0x40078000,len:13864
A9 load:0x40080400,len:3608
A10 entry 0x400805f0

when i shut down the lo components and use the arduino ide comm port window to show the data it receives, after 1 press of the caliper data capture button i see:

19.1400mm

i ran the lo calc test twice and got the same result, so it’s repeatable and the outcome is visible. so it’s a good place to start. if i have an epiphany or otherwise find a solution for this, i’ll post it.

cheers.
jake.

karolus,
based on further research it appears the data displayed in lo calc is the output from the esp32 rebooting. i’ve tried running the macro a few more times and no data was received. the good news is we don’t see a “no permissions” error either. so on balance its a step in the right direction.
thanks again.
jake.