Advice needed on formatting footnote anchors

I’m a freelance copy-editor. I was recently asked by a publisher to change numbered footnotes in a typescript to old-style ones, in the sequence: asterisk, dagger, double-dagger etc. The text was typed in Times New Roman. I found the option to change the footnote anchors (eventually) and worked out to group them page by page. When I emailed the edited script to the publishers they’d reverted to numbers.

I’ve spent quite some time this afternoon looking for a solution. I eventually changed the footnote font and footnote character attributes in Linux Libertine G (as outlined in an earlier question) and the numbers stayed in place. I changed the whole document to Linux Libertine G. That gave me both the number and the symbol for each footnote. I changed everything to Linux Biolinum G, which gave me duplicate symbols, and manually deleted the second. I’ve emailed it back to the publisher now and suggested they get the typesetters on the case instead.

If the font has an option for footnote symbols, surely they should be available - and stay in place once the document is emailed to a second PC. Any thoughts?

Edit your question to provide additional information (don’t use an answer which is reserved for solutions)

How do you save your book? .docx or .odt?

Have you a consistent and exhaustive use of styles? In other words, do you “embellish” your text with Ctrl+B and the like instead of using paragraph and character styles?

Footnote numbering is controlled by Tools>Footnotes & Endnotes. Is this where you fiddled?

Anchor sequence is independent of font (as long as it does not contain “exotic” characters which may not be present in all fonts). There is no reason it’d revert to numbers if you chose a symbol sequence.

Full Marks Editor,

Do the publisher have the font you are using installed? They ask you to send in ODT format?