Alignment problem Libreoffice Writer

Hello, i have problem in Libre office writer.
when press tab then i add a dot after number for example “3.1” then space then press enter , it delete the tab indent and align the number to the left
dot ‘.’ and space ’ ’ seems to be the problem but i am not sure, i already put the example on gif below
problem

Version: 7.5.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 36ccfdc35048b057fd9854c757a8b67ec53977b6
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: id-ID (id_ID); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

Alignment by Tab is a poor way to indent a paragraph, as you have found. There are perfectly good paragraph styles, First Line Indent or Text Body Indent that you could modify to suit.

The reason the Tab is deleted is because that is the setting in Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect Options > Options.

You could instead tick the box Apply Styles and the direct formatted paragrph will be converted to Text Body Indent paragraph style on pressing Enter

3 Likes

thank you for the picture guide, it really help for newbie like me.

The Getting Started Guide and the Writer Guide can be helpful, not just for newbies either, see English documentation | LibreOffice Documentation - LibreOffice User Guides :slight_smile:

You’re hitting an AutoCorrect rule. See Tools>AutoCorrect>AutoCorrect Options, Options tab.

To make your life “easier”, Writer modifies your typed entry when it matches some easily identified patterns, so that you have less typing to do.

Here, it sees that your paragraph begins with some whitespace (tabs and spaces) followed by digits interspersed with periods followed by whitespace. This is the usual signature for a numbered list. Writer changes the formatting for a list when you hit Enter.

If you don’t like it, untick Bulleted & numbered lists. Bullet … in the aforementioned set of options.

Also, avoid using tabs to create indents. This should be done with paragraph style configuration for better control.

2 Likes

thank you for the tips, i only started to learn to use libre writer several days ago.