All PDFs are sets of characters instead of PDF

Hi,

When I tried to open any PDF, it opens as sets of probably Chinese characters instead of PDF
Snímek obrazovky 2022-05-31 v 8.56.46

When it is opened in this sets of characters, LibreOffice start not responding and crash :confused:
I think that problem is with encoding, but I do not know, how to change it.

I hope, that somebody can help me.
Have a nice day and thank you!

PDF should look like this instead of that sets of chars

Your file opens here just fine :wink:

I do not get it, I was thinking that it should look same as in PDF preview app :confused:

Indeed - or at least similar.

On my system, I see this:

Looks similar, right?

There is PDF, that I am trying to open:

When I tried to import and run it inside LibreOffice it does this:

Great! You provided the first piece of the puzzle: the problematic document. Thank you!

When I open it using LibreOffice (e.g., using File|Open), it opens like this here with Version: 7.3.3.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d1d0ea68f081ee2800a922cac8f79445e4603348
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); UI: en-US
Calc: CL Jumbo:

So, where is problem :sweat_smile: ?
I am using Mac App Store version of LibreOffice
Version: 7.2.5.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 499f9727c189e6ef3471021d6132d4c694f357e5
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 12.4; UI render: default; VCL: osx
Locale: cs-CZ (cs_CZ.UTF-8); UI: cs-CZ
Calc: threaded

I am using it on MacBook Pro with Apple M1 silicon.

Great - the next piece is also revealed. We only don’t know yet how exactly you open the file :wink:

And then it would be great to see if non-AppStore version (possibly 7.3) works or not.

1 Like

So…

Thank to your help I download non-App Store version. When I tried this version:
Version: 7.3.3.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d1d0ea68f081ee2800a922cac8f79445e4603348
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 12.4; UI render: default; VCL: osx
Locale: cs-CZ (cs_CZ.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

I was able to open this PDF using Open File button in LibreOffice

When I tried same opening method as in non-appstore version, I am not able to open this file

@mikekaganski Take a closer look at this screenshot. It looks to me like @Holasakk is trying to open the PDF document here with LibreOffice Writer.

@Piscatorius :smiley: No. And even if they did, it wouldn’t result in such a mess. There is a dedicated PDF Writer import module - try to open a PDF using File->Open, and select there PDF - Portable Document Format (Writer) in the filter list.

Additionally, it seems that you imply that @Holasakk did one thing using App Store version, and another using TDF version. Well, why not … :wink:

What is shown is not a result of trying to open using Writer - it’s result of incorrect internal format detection, which may indicate that PDF import filter is broken or missing from the App Store version (which is plausible, since PDF import is implemented using Poppler, and it has GPL license, which might be incompatible with App Store requirements).

1 Like

@Holasakk Take a closer look at @mikekaganski’s screenshot. In his case, the PDF document opens with LibreOffice Draw.

@mikekaganski Ah, I see, so it could be due to an internal bug in the app store version, since it is a trimmed version compared to the non-app store version. Yes, that would be quite possible.