Always open pdf in read-only mode

Is there a way to get Libre Office Draw to allways open all pdf documents in read-only mode. i.e. use it as a pdf reader?

(Because I saw a comment that said something like “Libre Office Draw is a pdf editor and not a reader. You should use another program”. Other programs are also able to do this. The read-only feature is already there. I see no reason it cannot be a feature to have it always enabled.)

That comment is not correct. LibreOffice Draw is neither PDF editor, nor PDF reader. It’s simply graphic editor, which can import PDFs. Thus, it has no separate mode for any data source - any imported data arrives as a Draw document (roughly, internal ODG).

But of course, you can set up your operating system (or shell), to associate PDFs with a modified command line, that would pass --view.

1 Like

PDF editing with Draw is a nice gimmick demonstrating the power of the Draw component. It may be good enough for fixing minor issues such as typos, but only if the document from which the PDF was derived is inaccessible. For all practical purposes, use PDF with a decent PDF reader. It does not have to be Adobe Acrobat.

1 Like