Am I experiencing a memory leak with Libreoffice 24.2.6.2?

I am using LibreOffice 24.2.6.2 under Endeavor Os on an old DELL 9020 I7-4790 with 16GB of ram. The help tag gives the Linux version as 6.6, I assume that is the kernel designation. Opening an empty spreadsheet page, over the course of maybe 30 minutes to an hour, my memory use goes over 90%.
Predictably, the system is very sluggish at that point.
This happens even when Libreoffice is the only application running, and does not happen at all when using my browser or other applications, singly or in combinations. Closing Libreoffice then frees the memory and my system speed returns. This is with a blank spreadsheet page, but spreadsheets I built for tracking investments do the same thing.

I should add that the same thing happens in Writer as well as Calc.

Am I experiencing a memory leak with Libreoffice 24.2.6.2?

Unlikely. But your computer surely can be.

But why only with this application? I have been using this for years never had this problem.

Because this application may be causing the leak :slight_smile:

Actually, that was pretty funny, and I should have picked it up immediately.

I tend to be too literal sometimes… :slight_smile:

1 Like

beyond my poor attempt at joking, I meant to tell that yes, there could be leaks indeed - LibreOffice is not ideal… Hope that people could test and confirm / clarify.

I think maybe I’ve found the problem. Since no one else is reporting this, I decided maybe I had something else triggering this problem.

It looks like this neat python GUI applet I run called the ‘System Monitoring Center’ might be the actual source of the problem. With it running alone, I find it does the same thing but much more slowly. I don’t think it did this in the recent past, but it is no longer being maintained, so I don’t know what exactly changed. With it and Libreoffice both active, the memory consumption is real noticeable & much faster.

Using a simpler monitor, text based in a terminal window, called ‘System Monitor’, this doesn’t seem to be happening. I have another older machine of a different processor generation, and it shows the same behavior, but overnight I will leave both machines on with LibreOffice active and the simpler monitoring program to confirm.

1 Like

Note that there is GitHub - mamolinux/system-monitoring-center: GTK and Python based, system performance and usage monitoring tool, with its last (as of this moment) commit being

Reviving the now-archived project (#3)

• There never been a more detailed system monitor app based on gtk like this before. So, it’d be really an waste for an app like this to get discontinued. We at MamoLinux have decided to continue this project as it has been our default system monitor.

So it could be a chance for you to report the problem there.

1 Like

I can confirm that running these machines overnight for 6 1/2 hours, one machine with LibreOffice loaded and the other without as a control, using the text based monitoring systems, the change in memory utilization was .4% & 1.8% respectively, with the best of the two numbers actually the one running LibreOffice.

So problem, resolved.

Yes, you found the trail to the current incarnation of that truly neat monitoring tool. I notice they have it for a number of distributions already packaged, although Arch flavors aren’t represented. I did find out that the Arch repo does have a version uploaded at the end of January, making it much newer than the build I’m running, I might reinstall with that and see where it goes.